Lunch [14]

Silas, still dressed in his fluffy pyjamas, emerged from 'his' bedroom with a sleepy step. His little feet lazily pattered against the floor as he made his way to the kitchen, where his mother, Esme, was busy preparing breakfast. The tousled mess of his hair stuck up in every direction, and his ears drooped lazily, reflecting his still drowsy state.

"Mama, can we go outside?" Silas asked, wrapping his arms around Esme's waist as he reached her. His eyes squinted against the bright sunlight streaming through the windows, the light being way too bright for him.

Esme turned around, petting Silas's head affectionately as he nestled into her stomach. "Outside where?" She asked plating up Silas' breakfast into a plastic bowl.

Silas shrugged, a nervous energy emanating from him. "I dunno, out, with daddy." He mumbled out, saying what he really wanted to do.
Esme's heart softened at his request, as she turned her head to look down at him. "Oh, sweetie, he's working today," she explained gently, stroking his cheek. Silas's eyes widened in confusion, 'he's not here?'.

"Working?" Silas echoed incredulously. "But he was here yesterday." Silas had no concept of working but the word has been floating around quite a lot within the home, so he had heard of it.

"Yeah, he's out saving people today," Esme replied with a smile, knowing that Silas knew what his dad would be doing.
Silas's disappointment was noticeable. "Awww, I wanted to go out with him." He whined out quietly, Silas had become pretty attached pretty quickly.
"We can all play together later, okay?" Esme tried to bargain, not wanting to upset the little boy.
Silas hummed in response, still a bit bummed. He longed to see his daddy again, he hadn't been able to see him before he went to work as Carlisle started work early so Silas hadn't seen him since the prior night.
"Okay, can you go wash your hands for me, please?" Esme asked, and Silas nodded before darting off to the bathroom to clean up.

As soon as Silas was out of earshot, Esme reached for her phone. She dialed Carlisle's number, knowing he'd be concerned if Silas was feeling down.

"Esme? Is everything alright?" Carlisle's voice came through the line as he answered her call promptly, him being in his office at the time.

"Yes, everything's fine," Esme reassured him. "Silas just forgot that you were working today. He was wondering where you were and wanted to go out with us."

Carlisle sighed softly. "It might take him a bit of time to adjust."
"When are you going on lunch?" Esme inquired, already planning a surprise visit to lift Silas's spirits.
"Around 1 p.m. I'm assuming you'll be bringing him?" Carlisle asked with a hint of anticipation in his voice.
Esme smiled. "Of course. We'll see you then." He spoke promptly hanging up the phone as silas' footsteps could be heard heading back.

With plans in place, Esme placed silas' breakfast on the table, knowing that a fun lunch break with Daddy would make Silas's day brighter.

.
.
.

"Daddy works here?" Silas asked, his eyes wide with wonder as they pulled into the parking lot of Carlisle's workplace. The hospital being huge in Silas' opinion.

"Yeah, he does. It looks cool, doesn't it?" Esme replied, smiling at her son's excitement, trying to engage him even more. This being successful as Silas' face grew even more joyful looking at the building. Esme looking to Silas through the rear mirror.
"It's huge, and Daddy's in there too?" Silas marveled, his anticipation building up.
"Yep, and I bet he'll be so very happy to see you," Esme said, her own excitement mirrored in Silas's giggles.
"Can we see him now?!" Silas asked eagerly, his body practically buzzing with anticipation.

"Calm down, yes, we can see him. Wait there, I'll unbuckle you," Esme said softly, stepping out of the car.
Within moments, Esme was at the back door, unbuckling Silas from his car seat. Silas eagerly helped, his little hands reaching out as his mama lifted him up and then placed him down on the car park tarmac.
"Thank you, Mama," Silas said politely, his excitement seen in his smile.
"You're very welcome, sweetie," Esme replied, adjusting Silas's hat before they headed towards the entrance doors hand in hand.
"Now, let's go find Daddy," Esme said, poking Silas's nose playfully, eliciting giggles from her son.