Worm [12]

"Silas?" Alice called out frantically. Her not being able to see where the small boy was. She had been picking out and sorting through the heaps of clothes that she had bought for him, and within that time Silas had completely disappeared from her view.

.
.

"What you got there?" Edward asked out. He was able to hear Alice's panicked from missing Silas, to him being able to hear silas' thought coming from outside. So being a responsible adult he went out to make sure the boy was ok. Only to see Silas crouched down in his new dungarees at the edge of the small patio staring down.

"A worm" Silas simply answered as he stared at the mud covered worm wriggling around in his small pale hands. The wriggly worm caked in mud, this seemingly having no effect on the small boy. Silas didn't jump with Edward's sudden appearance as he had heard the footsteps behind him with his rabbit hearing. Silas was slowly stroking the wriggly worm with his thumb, him finding the creature ticklish.

"It's pretty cool isn't it" Edward's said, him crouching down next to the seven year old. Silas having no clear objections to this.
"Mmmmmhhhmmmm" Silas hummed out in agreement, the worm was cool, he needed to show Emmet he'd also think it was cool, "do you think Esme will think its cool?" The boy asked, him finally looking up to see Edward's face. He knew that he liked the worm and though it was cool, he now knew that Edward thought it was cool, he knew that Emmet would think it was cool, mainly because he was cool in silas' eyes, but Silas most wanted to know if esme would think its cool.

"Mmmm maybe not, she doesn't like very muddy things especially not in the house"Edward's honestly informed Silas. The boy pouting slightly looking back down towards the wriggly worm.
"we can wash it, cant we?" Silas asked quietly, him really wanting esme to like the worm, his new friend. Silas' face slightly lightening up with the tickling the worm was giving him in his palms.
"Not really, worms don't like water that much" Edward informed the small boy, his tone being very soft for giving Silas the news.

"I don't understand, why do I have to have a bath if Bernie and wormy doesn't?" Silas asked out slightly louder, him feeling quite annoyed. Why did he have to have baths, he doesn't like baths so why does he have too and not any of his friends. He was upset.
"Because little boys need baths, so they can smell nice and clean" Edward spoke trying not to laugh out loud at Silas' thoughts. He knew he'd have to play slightly dumb to appeal to Silas.

"I'm not a little boy, I'm big" Silas argued straight away. He was big. All 3ft whatever of him was big. This leading the pair to return back to silence.

"Does wormy have a home?" Silas asked, wanting to hear his new friend's voice again. Him wondering if wormy was alone or not.

"Yes it does, it's far under the dirt" Edward explained, Silas' almost invisible eyebrows furrowing.
"Far?"

"Yes, probably with its family"
"Family?" Silas asked, him thinking of a small worm family now.
"Yes" Edward said stroking the worm with one of his fingers, skimpily to please Silas.

"Are you my family?" Silas asked out

"Am I what?" Edward asked spluttered, him not expecting this question at this moment.
"Are you my family?, like Esme and Rosie and Emmet" Silas repeated, him really being confused on who they were to him. He knew he loved Esme and wouldn't want to be anywhere else but with her. Emmet was his friend, Rosalie was nice to him and Edward's and Alice were ok, in his mind. Edward chucking at Silas' blunt thoughts.
"Do you want to be?" Edward asked. He already knew that Silas was going to be staying with them for the foreseeable future, so for Silas' development it was best to become family to the small boy, not that any of them minded.

"I love Esme" Silas admitted carefully placing wormy back down on the ground. Silas then standing back up to his tall stature of 3ft 6". Edward keeping crouched, him being somewhat surprised that Silas let the worm go. He had fully expected Silas to go with his thoughts and sneak the worm inside to show Emmet, yet he smiled slightly as Silas was respecting what he had said about Esme not liking them in the house.

"We know you do" Edward said making Silas smile. It was very obvious that Esme was Silas' favourite, Silas never really wanted to be apart from her and had seemingly loved spending most of his days spent here with her. Silas had become attached very quickly, he had only been there less than 3 days, yet as Edward knew that it was very mutually exclusive with the rest of the family, it was nice to have a young child to liven the house up.

"Come on, Alice is going to become feral if you're gone any longer" Edward spoke standing back up and opening his hand, Silas taking it quickly before the pair started walking back to the house.

"Alice is scary" Silas admitted on the way there. He didn't fully mean that, he just would have much rather have gone shopping with Esme instead, or played snakes and ladders again.
Whilst Alice and Silas where out, Alice had made sure to pick up a large selection of jigsaws ranging in difficulty, some further board games including the ever so devastating game of monopoly. These all ranging from easy to more challenging, as nobody really knew what age his brain was nor how much he could concept things like money.
Carlisle already approving all of these items as they did have the ability of finding what age range Silas was, and if he had done any education, him asking Alice to pick up some stage one learning books as well. Him deciding that he and Esme would go through these with Silas at the weekend hoping to then know where to teach him from.

12th January 2024

Hope you enjoyed please vote
And check out my new book Devotion, which is very different to what I usually write.