♤ Baraf ka Gola ♤

Shubman's POV

I'd never had this much fun in my life.

Ishan, Vira and I had spent almost the whole day together, and none of us were in the mood to eat anything. Or, so we thought.

It was cold outside, cold enough to make us shiver. In Mumbai, for some reason, it got extremely cold at night, at least, when compared to the day-time. But, it wasn't just the cold outside that sent chills down my spine.

Before meeting Vira, I had always been Ishan's number one. He used to stick to my side, always pranking me, joking with me, and just enjoying in general. But now, it seemed that Ishan had found a new favourite.

And although I should have been happy for him, the only thing I felt, was frustration. Frustration at the fact he let me third-wheel, frustration at the fact I might even lose my best friend, but mostly, frustration that she had chosen... him. What did he have that I didn't?

Gosh, what is wrong with me? Why am I being jealous of my best friend?

The three of us walked down the street, taking in the night-life of Mumbai. Another first for me. The first time I'd been out during the night. At first, the thought had terrified me. As a child, I hated even stepping outside the house during the night.

But tonight was different. Something about Vira's laugh, Ishan's comfort, and the perfect harmony between the three of us, made me feel safe. Me and Ishan had known each other since our early international days, but it was starting to feel that Vira, who we'd just met today, moulded perfectly into our little group.

Suddenly, we all stopped and I bumped into Ishan.

"Bhai, rokha ky-" I started.

Then, in unison, Vira and Ishan yelled, "Baraf ka gola!"

What's that? I peeked over Ishan's shoulder and finally understood what they were talking about. Ice balls dipped in a flavoured sweet syrup, which was often coloured. We call it chuski.

Just Mumbaikars and their Mumbaikar things, what can I say? I smiled as Ishan and Vira crowded around the street stall, peering in at the many flavours at their expense, the child in them becoming more and more prominent. I suddenly felt a pang of guilt- these two looked so happy together, and here I was, being jealous.

The negative thoughts quickly vanished as Ishan started to tug on my sleeve, begging me to buy him a "baraf ka gola". I still call it chuski. He hadn't brought his wallet, so I accepted.

"Vira ji, which flavour would you like?" I asked politely, after Ishan had finished picking his.

"Mein khud keliye paise deti hoon, aap fikar maat karo."

"Meine paise kaun dene wala pucha nahi. Aapko konsa flavour chahiye, sirf itna baatao, ji."

"Arey, please, aap aise maat karo, Shubman ji."

Shubman ji. It sounded nice coming from her, in her sweet, melodious voice.

"Mein aapse krupa karta hoon, please jaldi choose karo, varna Ishan mere picche padega aur phir mujhe ek aur lena padega." I joked.

She chuckled slightly, and surveyed her options. Then, turning to the vendor, she said, "Ek kaacha mango aur guava wala syrup de do, bhai jaan."

"Ji, bhabhi. Sirf 5 minute do mujhe. Aapke boyfriend keliye kuch chahiye?" He said, looking at me.

"Sorry?" She said, confused about who the man was talking about.

"Woh meri girlfriend nahi hai. Actually, hum to aaj hi mile hai. Aur haan, mujhe kuch nahi chahiye."