◇ Part 4 ◇

With the target score set at 213, I braced myself for the long journey ahead. Taking big strides to the pitch, I ran a plan through my head, focusing on the training I'd done on my weaker shots, visualising how I'd play them.

I did a quick stretch while walking on. When I finally stepped into the crease, I took in my surroundings. Obviously, it was Ishan behind the stumps, but I took a moment to check where the fielders were. I just needed to take a quick single so I could analyse the field better.

I'd decided to just hit a straight drive and had to hope that it would beat the bowler. Bumrah paaji was bowling to me. Half expecting a yorker, I prepared myself to defend against it. Instead, it ended up being a full toss, and I smashed it across the stadium for a six. Power in the shot. Check.

Urgh. Okay, next ball then.

The next ball was slower and shorter, forcing me to step out of the crease to hit it, and I hit a beautiful straight drive to mid-off. Unfortunately, there was a fielder there. Me and Wriddhi bhai ran a quick single. The fielder had thrown the ball back to the non-striker's end, and it would've been a direct hit.

But I was already in the crease.

The umpire didn't need to take a decision because it was fairly obvious I'd reached the crease in time. Now was my chance to study the field.

A fielder at mid-off, one at deep fine leg, both a slip and a leg slip. One at cover point, a deep square leg, one at wide long off, one at gully and one at short third. A huge weakness in the field became visible.

Mid-on and mid-wicket were completely exposed, making them vulnerable areas for us to aim for. I would explain all this to Wriddhi bhai at the end of the over, although he had probably already figured it out himself.

I got ready to run, but still made sure not to step outside the crease. I didn't want to be run out. Wriddhi bhai called for a single and we sprinted. The ball wasn't far, but we still decided that every run was worth it.

So far, we'd taken 8 runs off the score in just this over. Just 205 runs to go. Saddle up, Shubman- this is going to be a rough one. I got myself in a proper stance, and steadied myself, before nodding at the bowler.

And... 3, 2... 1. The ball bounced, and I swung at it. The ball caught the centre of the bat, and I sent it flying to the stadium. I watched its trajectory, hoping it didn't dip down and drop into a fielder's hands. It looked okay though.

A cheer erupted from the crowd, as GT fans celebrated the six. Wriddhi bhai and I walked towards the centre, did a quick fistbump, and exchanged some tips, mainly to target the mid-on, mid-wicket area.

One ball left of the over. Come on, Shubman. This ball turned out to be a bouncer, and if I hadn't ducked, it would've taken my head off with it. That was the power of Bumrah paaji's bowling.

The fielders switched sides and now Wriddhi bhai was on strike. There was a new bowler now, the captain, Hardik Bhai. His first ball was a nice full-pitched one, and Wriddhi bhai hit a beautiful cover drive towards the boundary.

And, like that, the overs passed quickly, and I didn't realise that we'd already gotten through ten overs of play. The score had now crept up to a beautiful 129. We were well above the required run rate, and only one wicket down.

Bumrah paaji was back in the attack, and Wriddhi bhai had to face this next ball. The first ball of the 11th over. He fixed his stance and stood well inside the crease. The ball left Bumrah's hand with such speed that he barely had time to react.

The only thing he could do was defend. And in his attempt to defend, the ball bounced on his bat, close to the pads, leaving me and the entire crowd in confusion. Kya hua? Pads ko laga ya nahi?