Chapter 19: Dresses and Delays

Angelique POV
(3 Months Married) 

The last three months had been a bit of a blur. Settling into my new role as a wife, while studying full time and volunteering had been an adjustment, but it was one I was enjoying.  There were more formal dinners and events than I expected, luckily I had a trusted team sorted to help me with dresses and my hair and make up. I very quickly realised that my current workload didn't leave enough time to shop for the gowns needed or keep up with the latest trends in hair and make up. I much preferred to sit in a chair and have Henry and Bastian take care of me. They were also great for some gossip and a laugh. 

Mattia had been busier and busier as the months progressed. Stepping closer to taking over from his father meant longer hours. He still made time for us, but those countless lazy evenings on our honeymoon were a thing of the past. Life was finding it's rhythm and I was settling into my new realities. One blessing in all of this had been Mattia's mother Isabella. She had been very patient in teaching me the best ways of hosting large events to ensure a good impression without exhausting myself. More importantly she had arranged a young widow from a second level family to become my assistant. At first I'd felt ridiculous, but Stephanie had proved invaluable in keeping my life organised and was a genuinely sweet woman. It felt nice to have someone I could chat with after Rachael had all but disappeared from my life. I knew her move to Chicago would mean we wouldn't see each other often, but I hadn't expected her to fade away from my life so much. I thought we were better friends than that. 

Isabella also introduced me to Bastian who in turn introduced me to Henry - my Glam Team. She was very clear that the right team behind you was what made you a success. So even though Rachael seemed to have ghosted me I now had three more people I considered friends and didn't feel quite so lonely. Their gossip was rolling around my head as I thought about which dress I would choose for tonight's event. I was in the mood to give my husband a show afterwards, we'd just learned a new dance in class and I wanted just the right dress. 

Tonight we were attending a fundraising event for the Senator. Mattia's family were affiliated  at all levels of politics. Ensuring they had the ear of local, state and national representatives for their own gain. As it wasn't a Family event I could wear a dress that was a little more daring. My phone ringing brought me out of my thoughts, Bastian handed it to me so I could answer.

"Hello."

The background noise on Mattia's phone was loud. 

"Hello Angel. Can you hear me?" 

"Yes I can hear you. Where are you you? It's very loud?" 

"I have been held up with some problems I must attend to. I am sorry but I will be stuck here for a while. I will have to meet you at the event. Jaxon has arranged a suit and space for me to change at the venue. My parents will pick you up on their way and I will meet you there. I'm hoping to be there by nine." 

That had my nerves flaring. I'd never walked into an event without Mattia by my side, but this was my life and I knew he was under a lot of pressure so he didn't need me adding to his burden. 

"Please be careful and if your evening takes a turn I can just get a lift home with your parents or mine. No need to worry about me." 

"Thank you sweet pea but it's my job to worry about you. I need to know you're safe and I hate that you will be moving around that room without me by your side."

I felt myelf smile. Loving how protective he was of my welfare. Always ensuring I was safe.

"I know that Mattia but I also know you are a very busy man so I understand if you sometimes have to change our plans. I can adjust."