Chapter 4: Butterflies and Bubbles

Angelique POV

I was so incredibly happy with Mattia's reaction to my gown. The initial disappointment after the ceremony had been replaced by the feeling of butterflies his words were causing. My mind was spinning with everything that had happened since he saw me in my second dress. He had called me Sweetpea! His words were back to their usual kind tone and most important of all his eyes seemed hungry when he looked at me. His words about our wedding night were everything I'd dreamed of. I always wanted him to look at me like he couldn't get enough of me.

Maybe my friends had been right, I should take more care with my appearance. I wasn't stupid, I knew I wasn't ugly but I'd never thought of myself as beautiful enough to bother with makeup or fashion. Preferring to blend in. But if I would get this reaction from Mattia if I put in a little effort then I saw a shopping trip in my future.

"Okay one last group shot then we're done with formal photos until speeches."

Even the hour of photos required to ensure each family in attendance got a photo with the bride and groom couldn't dampen my mood or my smile. I was on cloud nine. Cuddled next to my groom, him stroking my back or kissing the side of my head as we chatted between sessions.

I felt him stiffen slightly but when I looked up at his face he was looking across the grass. A family with three teenage sons and an older daughter made their way towards us.

"Congratulations Mr Dicembre. You have a beautiful bride. We wish you a long and happy marriage with many children." The greeting and wish was similar to most families we'd posed with today. Children were very important in our world and I was happy at the thought of being the mother to Mattia's children.

"Thank you Charles. Let's get this shot done so we can all go inside and enjoy the beautiful reception."

He placed his hand firmly at my back. That was a different pose to the way he'd held me for all the other photos but maybe he'd had enough. We had been out here for over an hour and perhaps that was his limit.

The photographer posed us with the teenage boys to my left and Mattia had the parents and daughter to his right. I had noticed the young woman as they approached. She was wearing a very revealing black gown that didn't even come to mid thigh and the front plunged so low I was worried a nipple might appear. Not something I'd ever dream of wearing, let alone to a wedding, but she did look incredible. A veritable sexpot with her blonde hair and hourglass figure. I also noticed she wore a lot of gold jewellery including stacked bracelets on her wrist that jangled as she moved, gold earrings and a large gold knot ring on her left hand. This was a little surprising as usually at traditional weddings women avoided wearing gold apart from their own wedding rings. There was an old superstition that said wearing gold would bring bad luck to the new couple.

"Okay that's the lot. We can make our way inside." The photographer was scrolling through pictures on his camera and I was ready to get off my feet for a little while and enjoy something to eat. I hadn't been able to stomach food before the ceremony and I was now very hungry.

The teenage boys ran off almost immediately and the father and his wife departed after passing on their thanks for the honour of the photo. Strangely the daughter didn't follow them. Perhaps she was a friend of Mattia and he was going to introduce me.

"Mattia I was wondering if I could get a photo of just the two of us?"

I felt him stiffen at her request and I had to admit I was a little offended. It wasn't the custom for single women to request photos with the groom and I know for a fact he'd throw a fit if any single male guest requested a photo with just me. I was sure he'd rebuff her and we could finally go inside.