Kabanata 30 - The diligent mastery of impulses has dissolved into futility.

Fidgeting with my phone, I incessantly tapped the screen, desperate to see any sign of a notification from the person I had been waiting to hear back from. Every second that passed without a reply heightened my unease. Heaven had already left for her class, leaving me alone in the office. But it wouldn't be long before I heard a knock on the door, indicating that someone I had been waiting for had finally arrived. Seconds later, the door swung open, unveiling Moli with a slightly awkward smile on her face.

"I'll keep this short since I have some business to attend, and I believe you also have a class to get to. So, let's get straight to the point: What you witnessed earlier was a misunderstanding. I hope you won't jump to any unnecessary conclusions or deem it inappropriate," I stated concisely and confidently, ensuring that both my message and intentions were clear.

Moli leaned against the door, her hands hidden behind her back. She broke into a lopsided smile and said, "I'm pretty sure there's no misunderstanding here. I'm an open-minded person, just so you know."

Despite receiving a doubtful look from her, I maintained an upright posture and exuded self-assurance. "That's it, I can tell you're already making assumptions the minute you hurried away. You might have jumped to conclusions based on what you saw earlier, but it was just a minor incident."

She seemed perplexed, absentmindedly scratching her head. "I'm not sure why there's a need for an explanation, but I suppose what Ate Sam and I discussed last time might actually be true..." she trailed off, almost as if she were talking to herself, but I could clearly hear her voice.

"What are you talking about?" I inquired immediately after she dropped Samira's name. Why did she bring up Samira all of a sudden? What did Samira have to do with our conversation? And what were they discussing behind my back?

"Oh, nothing! I said you don't have to worry about it. I have to leave now because my class is starting soon." She excused as she turned her back, then proceeded to open the door.

Although I wanted to ask more, I decided to save it for another time. Instead, I chose to pass on, "Before you leave, do you mind telling me what brought you here earlier? I assume it must be something important that you forgot to knock before entering."

Suddenly, she stopped walking and turned around to face me. It was as if a light bulb went off in her head, and she dashed back to me with an undeniable sense of urgency. "Thank god pinaalala mo sa'kin, Ate Prisci! Can I borrow some money from you?"

"Why do you need to borrow money from me when you already have your allowance?"

With a twinkle in her eyes, she enthusiastically exclaimed, "I'm getting myself a camera!"

Caught between her pleading gaze, my buzzing phone, and the urgency of the situation, I agreed to transfer the requested amount of money to her bank account. Much to her excitement, she leaped towards the door, ready to leave. Before she exited and before I could attend to my ringing phone, she turned back and asked, "By the way, can we talk about Heaven's cute little backhug earlier? I wish I had that kind of sweet moment with my teacher too."

"Moli, as I told you--"

"Keme!" I barely got a word in before she zoomed out the door. "That bitch better brace herself for some serious gay talk! I'm gonna be the best wingwoman!" she shouted from the outside.

All I could do was let out a sigh and mumbled to myself, "Of course, she'll announce one day that she's taking up a new career as a matchmaker."

Wait, what did she say?

After finally processing what she said, I began to contemplate whether she said "stray dog" or "girl talk". Or was it "gay talk"? That was the worst.