Kabanata 17 - Ye Olde Paradise: As the events unfold, the plot thickens.

"You see, Kuya Nicklaus passed away due to heart failure when Cerise turned one year old, leaving her without any tangible memories of him. Since learning na namatay 'yong dad niya on the same day she was born, she has decided not to celebrate her birthday each year. Instead, she honors her father's memory on that day, recognizing it as the anniversary of his passing."

"Oh, I had no idea..." I uttered in a whisper, trying to process the information.

I wasn't prepared for this.

"Yes, it was a hard time for us, especially for Ate Prisci because she was left to take care of Cerise all on her own."

"Hindi ko ma-imagine. It must have been tough for her to handle all that responsibility." I regarded, while my mind struggled with stability in my thoughts as I imagined the hardships Professor Gil had endured.

Moli nodded in agreement. "I know right? It hasn't been easy for her because she became a mother and a father figure to Cerise. She had to balance her personal life and work, and take full responsibility for Cerise's well-being."

I was getting so much information right now, and I got to take it all in slowly and process each piece because trying to wrap my head around it all at once was overwhelmingly difficult. I found myself plagued with guilt habang nirereflect ko 'yong imprudent decision to bring such a sensitive subject to Cerise sa mismong birthday niya pa talaga when she should have been celebrating another year of life. Yet I didn't expect that my ignorance would have persisted had it not been for Moli's revelation. At saka aware ako na ang actions ko were both foolish and insensitive, and I wanted to make it clear na hindi ko jinujustify ang mistake ko or make excuses for my actions.

Nalulungkot ako for Cerise. At her young age, I never expected na wala na pala siyang father. At the same time, natutuwa ako na palaging nariyan ang Mommy niya para sa kaniya at para mapalaki siya ng maayos. It only made me have an even higher regard for Professor Gil for having such a strong heart and for being willing to fulfill big responsibilities. I couldn't imagine the things she went through. Being a single parent wasn't easy, and no one ever said that it was.

"If Kuya Nick were still here, he'd be so proud to see how his sister has stepped up and become like a mom to his daughter. After all, Ate Prisci showers Cerise with the same love and care that a real mother would."

Just then, a wave of realization swept over me, leaving me wide-eyed and genuinely shocked as my gaze shifted toward Moli.

"Wait, are you saying that Professor Gil isn't the mother of Cerise?"

"Don't tell me... Are you seriously saying that you've had the wrong idea this whole time?"

"Oh?"

Kahapon pa 'yong pag-uusap namin ni Moli ngunit hanggang ngayon hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala sa nalaman ko. Pagkatapos no'ng birthday ni Cerise, kinabukasan ay nag-usap kami ni Moli and nabring up 'yong topic na 'yon. Kaya ayon, sa kaniya ko nalaman ang lahat.

Let me get this straight, I was completely grounded in the belief that Professor Gil and Cerise were mother and daughter, kasi 'yon na ang naging initial impression ko sa kanila since from the start, and I had always assumed that Professor Gil was a married woman. Just for me to found out na hindi naman pala sila mag-ina, kundi si Cerise ay daughter ng late brother ni Professor Gil.

Kagabi, while I was processing the whole thing, bigla kong naalala 'yong lockscreen wallpaper ng phone ni Cerise. Malakas ang kutob ko iyon ang Dad niya. Inaalala ko pa nga 'yong mukha, e, kung kamukha rin ba ni Professor Gil, but hindi ko na masyadong maalala 'yong mukha ng guy.