Chapter 53

March 2019

March 2019

Confusion is an understatement for how I'm feeling right now. The blonde woman set her hand on Bucky's arm with a loving smile on her face. His body tensed and looked at me with guilt written all over his face. In that moment, my heart shattered into a thousand pieces. The way she looked at him, it was obvious there were feelings. I felt a hand on my lower back and I immediately knew it was Steve. He always showed up when I needed him.

"Who are you?" The blonde's voice was laced with hatred.

I stared at her then looked at Bucky who had an unreadable expression on his face. I felt tears in the corner of my eyes. "I'm nobody."

I stepped away from the pair and quickly walked out of the room. My vision started to get blurry and I couldn't catch my breath. I tried to hold onto the wall when I felt my knees give out but I fell back into a hard chest. I tried to pull away but relaxed once I smelled Steve's cologne. He pressed his chest tightly against my back whispering to me that it was going to be okay. He picked me up bridal style and carried me to the elevator. I noticed Wanda was walking beside him.

"I don't want-."

"I'm not sweetheart. We're going to Wanda's floor."

I nodded and nuzzled my face into his chest. A few minutes later, Steve sat me down on the couch next to Wanda. He kept his arms around me while she held my hand, placing a kiss on the back of it. I appreciated the comfort but my feelings quickly turned into anger. I jumped off the couch and glared at the two people I thought were my friends.

"Who the fuck was that woman?"

Steve swallowed thickly. "Her name is Sharon. Sharon Carter."

I grimaced at the last name. "Carter?"

"Peggy's niece."

Of fucking course.

"Why didn't either of you tell me about her?" My voice cracked, the tears slowly breaking through and running down my cheeks. "Do you have any idea how that makes me feel?" I shook my head, looking away from their faces. "And he didn't even come after me. I don't understand what's going on."

I thought about how betrayed I felt and my knees buckled causing me to fall to the ground. I let out a piercing sob, my hands clutching the carpet. I heard footsteps come towards me and when I felt hands on my back, I pushed them away but they wouldn't budge. Steve and Wanda both held me tightly as I continued to cry.

"He lied to me."

"Honey nothing happened with Sharon."

I shook my head not wanting to believe Wanda. She held my face in her small hands and lifted it so we could lock eyes. "I promise."

"How do you know that? Did you not see the way she looked at him? The way he looked at me with so much guilt?"

She gave me a sad smile and wiped the tears from my cheeks.