Prologue

August 1933

August 1933

Rain was cascading down the window, tapping roughly onto the glass. Another bang of thunder hit, followed by a strike of lightning. I always found it calming to watch a storm, seeing the lightning light up the sky. I heard the faint sound of a knock on our front door followed by muffled talking after my mother answered the door. I walked to the top of the stairs, looking down to see two police officers. One of them was our chief, Jim Hopper. He was friends with my parents so it wasn't new to see him at my house. I furrowed my brows when I saw he had my mother wrapped into a tight hug.

"What's going on?"

My mother pulled away, wiping away tears. Hopper stepped closer to the stairs. "Would you mind coming down here Riley?"

I nodded, walking slowly down the stairs. My mother immediately pulled me into a hug. I could feel her shoulders shaking from her silent cries. I looked at Hopper with a terrified look. "Please tell me what's going on."

"There was an accident."

"An accident? Did someone get hurt?"

My mother sniffled, pulling back from the hug to look at me. She grabbed my hands, squeezing them gently. I felt my heart drop to my stomach. "No. Please don't tell me it was him."

"I'm sorry sweetie."

My breathing became heavy and I felt dizzy. I grabbed onto my mother's forearm, bracing myself from falling. I could see my mother and Hopper talking to me but I couldn't hear any words. The only thing I could hear was the rapid beating of my heart. Next thing I knew, I was running out of the house. I ran down the street in the rain barefoot, tears streaming down my face.

Bucky lived only a few houses from me. The only thing that I needed to comfort me was the warmth of his hug. Maybe this was just a nightmare and I would wake up soon. I ran to the door and started pounding on it. When the door opened, I looked up to see his ocean blue eyes. His brows were furrowed, looking at me confused.

"Riley? What's wrong?"

I cried even harder, throwing myself into his chest, wrapping my arms around his waist. We stumbled backwards but Bucky threw his hand out to the door, catching us before we fell to the ground. He wrapped his arms around me tightly. I was struggling to breath with how hard I was crying. I gripped onto his shirt scared he would slip away from me.

"Oh my goodness. What happened?" I heard Bucky's mother, Winifred, ask.

"I'm not sure. She just showed up like this and I can't get her to talk."

"I'll grab her a change of clothes and call her mother."

Bucky ran his fingers through my wet hair, kissing the top of my head. "I need you to breathe Riley. Please sweet girl. You're scaring me."

"T-there was an a-accident." I tried to speak through my sobs. "M-my f-father is g-gone."

We held each other tightly as I continued to cry. Bucky held my face, running his thumbs across my cheeks, wiping away the tears. He pressed his forehead against mine.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered. "Let's get you upstairs."

He moved his right arm below my knees, picking me up bridal style. I buried my head further into his chest, throwing my arms around his neck. He carried me to his room, gently setting me down on my feet.

Once I was changed into dry clothes, Bucky came back helping me get into his bed. He crawled beside me, letting me snuggle into him.

"Your mother is downstairs. Steve is on his way too."

I nodded.

"Do you want to know what Hopper told her?"

I sat back, looking up at him. He gave me an apologetic smile, caressing my face with his right hand. A few tears slipped from his eyes. "He was in his lab working. Someone came by to visit him and-" He paused, sniffling a few times. "The man shot him. They're still trying to find out who it was."

The tears came back, I sobbed into his chest. I don't know who could do something like this. My father was a well respected doctor in New York. He was the sweetest man and was always willing to put others before himself. I've never known anyone to dislike my father.

"What do you need me to do? I'll do anything."

I shook my head, gripping his shirt tighter. Being with him made the pain bearable. Bucky ran his hands up and down my back, trying to soothe me. He held me until I started to fall asleep.

"Bucky." I mumbled.

"Yes?"

"Promise you'll never leave me."

He kissed the top of my head. "I promise."

My eyes fluttered open, looking through the window to see the storm had finally passed. I reached my arm out for Bucky but didn't feel him. I turned my head and saw his side of the bed was empty. I sighed, slowly standing from the bed, walking to the bathroom. I stared at myself in the mirror. My face was red and my eyes a brighter green than normal. It always happens when I cry. I turned on the faucet, letting the cold water run over my hands. I splashed some on my face, grabbing a towel to dry it off.

I walked downstairs, seeing my mother and Bucky's parents sitting at the kitchen table. Bucky and Steve were in the living room with Bucky's siblings. I slowly made my way into the kitchen. Bucky's Dad sat up quickly, pulling out a chair for me.

"How are you doing kiddo?"

I shrugged. "I'm not sure how to answer that." I looked at my mother. "I'm sorry I ran."

She shook her head. "It's okay sweetheart. I knew you would come here." She reached her hand out to me. I slipped my hand into hers. "We'll get through this Riley." I nodded, blinking away more tears.