Chapter 17

June 1943

June 1943

Bucky had been gone three weeks and it felt like three years. While I was stressing over my husband being gone, I was now having to stress over Steve. I was informed yesterday that he was accepted into the army. No clue why they would do that. Don't get me wrong, Steve is an incredible person and has the biggest heart of anyone I know but he didn't meet any of the criteria. 

I was sitting at the kitchen table, reading a book when I heard my front door open. I looked up, seeing Iris walking in. "You okay?"

I shrugged. "Still trying to wrap my head around all of this."

"I still can't believe they let him in."

"I know." I groaned, placing my head in my hands. "I told Bucky I'd keep Steve out of trouble while he was gone."

Iris raised her eyebrows at me. "You and Steve can never stay out of trouble."

I smirked. "We always got caught because his little ass couldn't run fast enough."

"And you always stayed behind to help him."

"Because I know he would do the same for me."

Iris squeezed my hand. "He's going to be okay. They both are."

Before I could respond, we heard a knock on the door.

"Are you expecting someone?"

I shook my head, getting up to answer the door. When I opened it, my eyes widened. "Holy shit."

The man laughed. "That's a very unusual way to answer the door."

"You're Howard Stark."

"Yes I am. It's nice to meet you Riley." He extended his hand out to me.

My mouth fell open. I hesitantly reached out, shaking his hand. "How do you know my name?"

"I know more than that. May I come in?"

I nodded, opening the door more to let him in. We walked into the kitchen, Iris had her back to us, making herself some coffee.

"This is my friend Iris." She turned around, her eyes widened.

"Hello. I'm Howard Stark."

"Y-yes I know."

I stood there watching them stare at each other. I cleared my throat, smirking at Iris. She started blushing, turning back to the counter.

Should I play matchmaker? I think so.

"Would you like some coffee or anything?" I asked, gesturing for him to take a seat at the kitchen table.

"Yes please. Coffee sounds great."

Iris poured another cup, placing it down in front of Howard. He gave her a gentle smile before thanking her.

"Sorry if this sounds rude but what are you doing here?"

Howard chuckled. "I would like you to join a project that I've been working on."

I looked at him dumbfounded. My mouth opened and closed a few times as I tried to find my voice but nothing came out. I felt Iris nudge my arm.

"W-what? You want me to help you?"

"Of course. You graduated top of your class. I also read some of your research papers on my work. I was very impressed."

Holy shit.

"Am I dreaming?"

"No ma'am you aren't." Howard smirked. "I am part of an agency that was formed on the orders of President Roosevelt. I am working on a project that could potentially help us win the war. It's called Project Rebirth. I think you would be a great addition in helping us make it successful."

"Wow really?"

"You're very intelligent Mrs. Barnes. You have a bright future ahead of you."

"What would I do about my job? I'm currently working at the hospital. I'm not sure they would let me take a lot of time off."

"I have an easy fix for that. Become a permanent part of my team."

I looked at Iris, she had a huge smile on her face. "Riley, this is amazing."

"This is fucking nuts."

Howard chuckled. "Is that a yes?"

"Yes. I'd love to work with you." I smiled.

"Great!" Howard stood up, extending his hand out to me.

I shook his hand, walking him to the door. Howard turned around smiling at Iris. "I hope to see you again."

"You will."

"Good." Howard turned back to me. "I'll call you in a few days once I have everything in order. We'll meet with Doctor Erskine who is the brains behind the project."

______________________________

"YOU WHAT?!"

I stood in front of Howard and Doctor Erskine as they finally told me who was going to be the guinea pig for Project Rebirth. They both looked at me like their mother just scorned them.

"You're telling me you chose Steve, my Steve, for this project and you're going to inject him with the serum?"

"Riley we know you're worried about him but I promise he will be okay. There is no better choice than Rogers."

"Well of course. He's a good person."

"Exactly. The serum amplifies what's inside and I know that Rogers will not take advantage of the power it's going to give him." Dr. Erskine explained.

"I'm really stressed out right now." I walked over to the chair and sat down, I ran my hands over my face. "Howard I know we've only known each other for two weeks but if something happens to him, I will hurt you."

Howard walked over, kneeling in front of me. "I know but this is another reason why you were perfect for this project. Steve trusts you."

"Does he know that I'm helping with this?" I looked at Dr. Erskine.

"I told him a few days ago. Once I mentioned your name, he was more than willing to accept the offer."

"When can I see him?"

Dr. Erskine smiled. "Whenever you want."