Chapter 50

February 2019

February 2019

I sat at the kitchen island with a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream. I had only taken a few bites when I heard two people whispering in the hallway. I rolled my eyes when I realized it was Sam and Peter. They came into the kitchen and sat down beside me. We sat in silence for a minute before Peter finally spoke up.

"Are you okay Riley?"

I shrugged and took another bite of ice cream.

Sam sighed. "I guess this is about Steve telling Bucky you were with Liam?"

My eyes widened and I turned to look at him. "How the hell did Steve know?"

"He was curious when you said you were having lunch with a friend but got really concerned when you didn't answer his calls. You've never purposely ignored him like that before so he called Maria. I guess the security guy at the front desk saw you walk out with Liam."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

Sam nudged my arm. "Don't be mad at Steve. Bucky was planning on surprising you but once we landed he remembered you were at SHIELD. He wasn't sure when you'd be back so when he asked Steve, he let it slip that you were with Liam."

This has turned into a bigger problem than it needs to be. I heard footsteps approaching the kitchen and I turned to see who it was. Steve froze mid step and sent me an apologetic smile. I rolled my eyes and pushed my ice cream to Peter who happily took it.

"We'll leave you guys to talk." Sam gently squeezed my shoulder and gave Steve a friendly nod.

Peter kissed my cheek before following Sam out of the kitchen. Steve sat down beside me and gave me his puppy dog eyes.

"Please don't be mad at me. I'm sorry."

I sighed and leaned my head on his shoulder, wrapping my arm around his. "I'm not mad, just a little annoyed. This is being blown out of proportion."

Steve placed his head on mine. "Why would you go to lunch with Liam?"

"It was an innocent lunch. But I'm glad I went because he told me something important."

"What?"

I pulled away from Steve and stood from the bar stool, holding my hand out to him. "I need to tell you and Bucky about it together."

Steve nodded and laced his fingers with mine. When we got to my floor Bucky was sitting on the couch, leaning forward with his elbows resting on his knees. He had his face in his hands and I could feel the stress radiating off his body. Steve stood against the wall to give us some space and nudged me forward. Bucky removed his hands and looked at me when he heard me approaching.

"Hi."

He gave me a sad smile. "Hi."

I kneeled in front of him and held his hands. "I don't want us to fight. It was only lunch and I promise I was going to tell you about it."