Chapter 33

April 2018 - Bucky's POV

Natasha, Sam, and I just got back from our mission. I walked into my new room, throwing my bag on the floor. I stood there staring at the empty room, feeling the anger rise. I walked to my dresser, grabbing a pair of basketball shorts and shirt to change into. I made my way to the gym because I really needed to hit something. I haven't spoken to Riley in a week and I felt like a piece of shit. I'm a huge coward for walking away from her like that without giving her an explanation. But how can I sit down and look at her beautiful face and explain how I'm feeling? She'll hate me and never look at me the same. Hell she probably hates me now.

I got to the gym, relieved nobody else was in here. I wrapped my hands before going to the punching bags. After an hour, I was already on my third one from hitting them too hard and ripping the seam. I heard the door open and saw Steve walk in. I sighed and started unwrapping my hands. I've been able to avoid Steve the past week too but I'm sure by now he knew what was going on. When I looked up to acknowledge him, he punched me across the face causing me to stumble backwards.

I grabbed my jaw, catching my balance. "What the fuck?"

"You're such an idiot." Steve got in my face, shoving me hard.

I pushed him back. "Get out of my face man."

Steve stared at me, anger written all over his face. I've never seen him this upset before. He sighed, running his hands over his face. "Are you dating someone?"

What the hell?

I looked at him like he was crazy. Was he seriously asking me this stupid question? I scoffed, shaking my head. "I have a wife."

"No, don't play this bullshit with me. Are you dating someone?"

"Of course not. Why the hell would you even assume that?"

"Riley thinks you are. You've been avoiding her, making her feel alone."

I let out a breath, looking down at the floor. I shook my head before walking past Steve, bumping his shoulder. "Leave it alone."

He grabbed my shoulder, turning me around. "What the hell is going on with you Buck? What did she do to deserve this?"

"Nothing!" I yelled, not being able to hold in my anger. "Things are better this way, I don't deserve her." I walked over to the bench, sitting down, putting my head in my hands. I felt Steve sit down beside me.

"What's going on?"

"I'm a monster. She shouldn't be with someone who's capable of hurting people." I removed my hands from my face, sitting up to lean back against the wall.

Steve stayed quiet for a minute. "She wants to leave Bucky."

"Leave?"

"She wants to go back to 1950."