Chapter 27

August 1950

August 1950

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us tonight?"

I looked up from my book, seeing Iris standing in front of me. I smiled, shaking my head. "No thanks. I'd rather not be the third wheel on your date."

"It doesn't have to be a date. We can make this a group dinner."

"I'm okay. I want to relax tonight and watch a movie."

"Okay. Can you help me find something to wear?"

"Of course." I followed her into her room, seeing a bunch of clothes piled on her bed. I picked up some of the clothes, raising my eyebrows at her.

"This is why I need your help."

I laughed, looking through the clothes. I picked up a cute red dress. "What about this one?"

"That one is perfect." She took the dress from me, going to her bathroom to change. When she came out, I gestured for her to sit in front of the mirror so I could help with her hair.

"So I was thinking we should take a trip one weekend in October."

I stopped brushing her hair, looking at her through the mirror. "You say this every year."

"Have you enjoyed the trips?"

"Yes but we don't always have to go somewhere on my anniversary."

"I know we don't but I don't like seeing you sad."

I smiled, leaning down to wrap my arms around her. "You have been so supportive these last five years. I can't thank you enough for what you've done for me."

"That's what a best friend is for."

I kissed her cheek before I finished fixing her hair. There was a quick knock at the door before it opened. Iris and I walked into the living room to see Howard standing there with his hands in his pockets.

As soon as he saw Iris, a huge smile spread across his face. "Wow you look great."

Iris blushed. "Thank you."

"Are you ready to go?"

She nodded then pulled me into a hug. "I'll be back tonight."

"Have a great time."

"I will. Don't get too bored without me."

I laughed, squeezing her tight before letting go of her. "Love you."

"Love you too."

______________________________

I sat on the couch stuffing my face with ice cream while watching Bambi. It was currently on the part where Bambi was learning how to walk. I giggled, watching Bambi stumble around and try to jump over the tree trunk. My eyes widened when I heard a noise coming from the kitchen. I sat up straight, putting down my bowl of ice cream on the table. I got up from the couch and quietly walked to the kitchen. I peaked my head around the doorframe, not seeing anything. I walked further into the kitchen, careful of my surroundings to make sure a serial killer didn't jump out and get me. I heard the creak of the floorboard behind me. I froze, slightly turning my head to see someone standing behind me. I felt them walking closer so I turned quickly, raising my first to hit first.

The person grabbed my wrist and chuckled. "And here I thought you'd be happy to see me."

My eyes widened as I looked at the man standing in front of me. "Steve?"

He grinned, pulling me into a hug. "It's me Riley."

I smiled, hugging back for a brief moment before I came to my senses on how crazy this is. I pulled away quickly, stumbling backwards. "How is this possible?"

Steve put his hands up in surrender. "I know this is a lot to process. I promise I'll explain everything but we need to go."

"Go where?"

"2018."

Uh what?

"This has to be a dream." I began mumbling to myself as I paced around the room. "This can't be real. No possible way." I paused for a moment staring at Steve. I laughed through my nose, shaking my head at how absurd I was being. "The only logical explanation is I fell asleep and the sugar from all the ice cream I ate is messing with me."

Steve rolled his eyes.

I nodded, agreeing with myself. "Yeah that's it or I'm just crazy."

Steve took a few steps toward me and pinched me.

"Ow! What the hell was that for?!" My eyes narrowed as I rubbed the spot on my arm.

"To show you that you aren't dreaming. I'm really here."

I stared at him for a moment before grabbing his face in my hands. "It's actually you?" I felt tears forming in my eyes.

Steve nodded, wiping away a tear that fell. "Now are you ready to see your husband or not?"

My jaw dropped open as I pulled my hands away from him. "W-what did you just say?"

Steve held his hand out for me, smiling. I swallowed the lump in my throat. I wasn't sure how real this was but if there was any possibility that I could see Bucky again I was going to take it.

"Wait, I need to do something first." I ran over to the counter, grabbing a piece of paper and a pen. I couldn't leave without giving the girls some type of explanation. I felt more tears fall from my eyes while I thought about leaving them. I also thought about my Mom. I let out a breath before finishing the note. I folded the paper, leaving it on the counter.

I walked to Steve, taking his hand in mine. "Okay Stevie. I'm ready."