lxvii. calling you--jim root (slipknot)

a/n: shoutout to tennesseans not knowing how to react to snow i might get the whole week off to write for yall >:)

also, jim and reader are both high school aged here 

Jim's sitting on the couch watching a show in the living room. It's getting kind of late, but he and his mom were determined to watch the first three Star Wars movies tonight while his dad's away on a trip. 

While Jim's mom is making cookies in the kitchen, the phone rings next to him. 

"Jesus," Jim mutters to himself as he answers the phone. 

"Hi, James," you greet him. 

"Hey there, hun," Jim smiles. "You doin okay?"

""m a little drunk," you chuckle. "I just needed to tell you I love you so much."

"Aw, I love you too."

"I love you more, bitch. And I miss you."

"We literally saw each other for most of the day today. We share 70 percent of our Friday classes," Jim laughs, missing you too.

"Cookies are ready!" Jim's mom walks into the living room with a plate of warm cookies in one hand and two glasses of milk in the other.

"Oh my god, is that Cathy? Hi!!!" you greet. "Put me on speaker, I want to talk to her!"

Jim looks at his mom as she laughs. "Hi there, Y/n!"

"I was just telling your son I miss him," you tell Cathy.

"And that they're drunk," Jim adds with a smirk. 

"And that I'm drunk."

"Are you alright?" Cathy asks. 

"Mh-hm, I'm all good," you reply. "I'm just at home working on bottle 2 of wine."

"Bottle 2?" Cathy and Jim raise an eyebrow. 

"Yeah...my mom left it here and my dad didn't stop me before he went to bed," you explain.

"Wait, where's your mom?" Cathy asks. 

"She's spending the night with one of her friends. Her friend broke up with her boyfriend and she's scared he's going to hurt her, but he was always scared of my mom. As he should be."

"Whoa, lore," Jim jokes. 

"I'll tell you all about it later," you say. "Anyway, Cathy--" You pause. 

"Yeah?" Cathy takes a bite from a cookie. 

"Sorry, I refilled my glass. Anyway, I love your son so much. I just adore him. He's so sweet and caring and he'll take naps with me. He'll watch my dumbass shows with me and listen to me talk about them. And goddamn, he gives the best hugs I've ever gotten. I've never felt unsafe with him. He's just so perfect, and I don't know that I did to deserve him," you ramble. "He also called me his sweetheart like a week ago and I haven't stopped thinking about it."

Jim is blushing quite a bit at this point, while his mom beside him is beaming. 

"Aw, I'm glad you like him," she hums.

"Mh-hm, you raised a good man," you slur your words a little bit. "Might marry him, who knows?"

In the background, Cathy and Jim can hear you refilling your glass again. 

"I thought you hated marriage," Jim raises an eyebrow, running a hand through his hair so his mom can't see how much your speech affected him. 

"Not if I'd get married to you," you sip your drink. "I think our first dance should be to a Beatles song."

"Okay, you're drunk, Y/n," Jim laughs. "It'll be a Doors song."

"System?" you offer.

"I am not dancing with a feminist to a song that talks about kicking your girlfriend."

"Sugarrr!" you chuckle. "Fine. We can do a Doors song."

"I shouldn't be here," Cathy comments. 

"No! Stay, Cathy. I love you so much," you plead. "Whoa, my head hurts."

"I figured it would," Jim's mom laughs. "And I love you too."

"You gonna be okay tomorrow?" Jim asks. 

"Dunno. I'll call you if it's bad."

"Have you had anything to eat tonight?"

"Had a decent dinner. Bout to throw it all up, probably," you reply. "Holy shit, my head is getting worse."

"You need an ibuprofen or something?"

"Ooh, good idea. Hold on," you step away from the phone. 

It takes almost 10 minutes for you to get back. 

"Fun fact, I tried to take the ibuprofen, and then I promptly threw up the ibuprofen," you announce to the phone from the other side of your room.

"We figured," Jim jokes. "You okay?"

"Not great. I think I'm gonna vomit again, so I'm gonna hang up. I love you both."

"Love you too," Jim and his mom say before they hang up.

"I think I'm gonna check on them tomorrow," Jim tells his mom. 

"Yeah, do that," Cathy nods. "Check on your sweetheart."

"Oh, shut up."

...

i think this took me a total of 2 hours to write? 

hope it's decent, since i didn't do any proofreading 

bye loves :)