li. stone sour--the thomsons & jim root (slipknot)

a/n: i had this idea...not sure how it will execute, but here we go. i hope it turns out decent.

also, i changed my username!

Usually Stone Sour and Slipknot tour schedules overlap, but with each touring season there's a few weeks where Corey and Jim have to do a few more shows. 

Considering how close your father Jim is with Mick Thomson and his wife, it makes sense for you to have stayed with the Thomsons when you were younger and, y'know, less able to make meals for yourself and have a routine. They've become a second family and your most trusted confidants at times.

Now that you're older, you stay with the Thomsons when the house runs out of groceries or your anxiety makes you paranoid about a break-in. 

It is always a delightful surprise when Stacy picks you up from school, though.  

"Hey, cutie, wanna go to the mall?" Stacy calls after turning the blaring Slipknot down. 

"Oh, hell yes," you smile as you trot up to the car and throw your backpack in the backseat. 

You and Stacy saunter into the mall, going from store to store before stopping at a boba shop in the mall. She demands to pay for everything and talks happily with you, listening intently to everything you've got to say. Eventually, she drives you back to her place, where she greets Mick with a hug and a kiss. When Mick spots you, he envelops you in a tight hug. 

"I've missed you, kiddo, where have you been?"

"10 minutes away, like I usually am," you chuckle. "Where have you been?"

"In your moOom," Mick cackles at his own joke. "You gonna stay the night with us?"

You glance over at Stacy, who shrugs. "I guess so."

"Nice, guest room is how you left it," Mick stalks into the kitchen to grab a snack.

"Anyway, I do kinda miss my dad," you sip your drink as you follow Stacy into her kitchen. 

"That's sweet," Stacy smiles. 

"Yes, indeed, very sweet that this is the fifth touring season in a row where I have been all but completely convinced that he stays out longer to avoid me and doesn't really like me anymore," you say without thinking. "Shit, sorry. Anxiety's simmered for far too long."

"Are you okay?" Stacy's smile shifts into a concerned look. 

"I'm sorry," you apologize again and look away. "I've just had a weird couple of days."

"Hey, it's okay," the woman reaches out and gives your hand a squeeze. "Listen, I get how you're feeling, but I can also promise you that your dad loves the living shit out of you."

You pause, unsure what to say to that. 

"She's right," Mick speaks up as he tosses you a box of your favorite crackers. "There was this one...actually like three times where your dad got off a call with you, threw his phone across the room, and fell on the couch while yelling 'I MISS MY KID' and crying a bit."

"It was pretty sweet, I won't lie, but it was a bit inconvenient that it happened at 2 in the morning when most of us were asleep on the bus," Mick adds. 

"Hm," you hum in reply, feeling some guilt for your previous thoughts. 

"Oh, we were also in London once and he rushed up to Paul because he didn't have his card on him and he desperately wanted to buy you a necklace or something, but he had run out of cash and begged Paul to help him out to pay for it," Stacy adds. "He saw me smiling at him because I just watched him beg like a little bitch in the middle of a souvenir shop at Buckingham Palace. Then he walked up to me very triumphantly with the necklace in a bag and informed me matter of factly that I'd understand if I had a kid."

"Joke's on him, you're our kid too," Mick ruffles your hair. 

"D'awww," you smile and chuckle lightly so that you don't cry. It's overwhelming to hear all this, especially since you've spent the past few days in a depressive episode because of how you think your dad feels about you. 

...

You lean on a payphone booth in the airport with a bit of nervousness building up in your chest. Your dad is coming home today and you booked an Uber to get him home. You just wanted to pick him up in some capacity, even if you can't drive. 

Your phone buzzes with a text from your dad. 

Tree Root: just landed--going to the baggage claim and I'll meet you there!

You smile to yourself and tuck your phone back into your pocket. 

The siren on the baggage carousel close to you blares to let you know that the bags from your dad's flight from New York are coming out soon. You're psyched to see your dad, but the anxiety continues to close itself around your throat. 

Soon enough, you spot the familiar fluffy brown haired tall ass mutant man coming down the escalator. He has yet to see you, though, so you check your phone until you see him step off the escalator in your peripheral vision. He stands there for a second, scanning the floor until he spots you looking at him with a little smile and he immediately paces over to you. 

When you meet him in the middle, he drops his bag and envelops you in a massive, warm, dad hug. He holds you tight within the confines of his flannel, lifting you up a little bit.

"God, I missed you so much, Y/n," he hums. 

You feel your eyes well up as you sink into his comforting hold. The combination of the worn, old flannel, his beard and hair tickling your face, and the way he smells vaguely like cigarettes under his cedarwood cologne is just like home. That's just...your dad. 

You sniffle a bit as you mutter that you missed him too and release him. 

"Aww, you're gettin' all sentimental about me?" he grins and ruffles your hair while you look away and wipe your eyes. 

"Just a bit," you roll your eyes. "Let's get your bags."

"Did you come here with someone else? Or did you miraculously get your license while I was out?"

"I booked an Uber to pick us up ahead of time," you pick up your dad's bag and sling the strap across your body.  

...

couple things

1. sorry i cut off the story like that, but I couldn't figure out how else to end it. lmk if you want a part 2 

2. are y'all into these parent ones? they seem to get less attention than my other one shots and i'm just curious as to whether or not you guys prefer romantic one shots

3. i've had an idea floating around in my head of a very oddly specific slipknot and star trek crossover with more of an oc than the reader, would any one of y'all even touch that or should I just keep that one to myself?

4. slipknot and various other franchise crossovers have been crawling through my head so you might want to get ready of a ton of my ridiculous crossovers lmao

5. thank you all so so much for reading, i didn't realize this book already hit 6 thousand reads which is like SO FUCKING COOL!! thank you for supporting this lil shindig and i hope it's been worth your time <3

take care my friends!