Chapter Forty Seven - Juliet

Start from the beginning

My parents both frown. "I wouldn't say rescued," Charlie says with his own frown. God he's trying to make them like him for some reason. I shoot him a look and Charlie immediately sits down beside me. As the bridal party is announced in, I ignore my parents and turn in my chair towards Charlie. Our knees hit but he doesn't seem to notice as his eyes are fixed on the introductions. He leans in and says in my ear as the music seems to be way too loud, "Your cousin doesn't seem happy."

I look to see where he's looking. He's looking at the bride herself. To me she looks happy. "Why do you say that?" I ask in his ear.

He shrugs, eyes still glued to her. "She reminds me of you."

I turn quickly to him but he doesn't say this to be rude. But fucking hell, I want to know more. But as I want to lean in more and ask him about it, the music fades and the wait staff enters with trays of food. As we wait for our turn, my father and my uncles chat at the table. And I notice my uncle pointing to Charlie. "You look familiar," Uncle Harris says to Charlie.

Charlie turns and stares at my uncle. "Do I?"

My father scoffs. "You don't know him."

Though clearly an insult, Charlie isn't fazed. "Probably," he agrees with my father.

My uncle still persists. "How old are you kid?"

"I'm eighteen, sir."

"Have you graduated high school or still attending?"

"Still attending. I'm one of the oldest in my class." Though he should be embarrassed about my father being rude to him about his status, Charlie seems to be embarrassed to be eighteen and still be in high school which usually is the majority of kids attending their final year.

"And what was your name again?" Uncle Harris keeps pushing. I still don't understand quite fully.

"Charlie." When it's clear my uncle wants more and the whole table waits for him to elaborate, Charlie finishes his name. "Charlie Evans."

A light comes on in my uncle's mind. "Evans?" Charlie seems to realize that maybe my uncle does know him. "My goodness. We have a rising star at the table."

Charlie's cheeks burn red. "That's too kind," he mumbles and looks away.

My father looks to his brother for guidance. My uncle elaborates for the table as the food arrives for us. "Evans here is one of the top baseball prospects in the country!" I try to hide my shock as my friend looks in his lap. Why the bloody hell hasn't anyone mentioned this to me? "I hear the Twins are already lining up for you, kid," Harris beams.

My father looks at my friend with a newfound pride. "Professional ball?" he asks with a dumb smirk on his face. "That's quite exciting."

I try my hardest not to roll my eyes. As my duck is placed in front of me, Charlie still seems very uncomfortable that someone knows his skills. "Are you planning on college in the fall or going to the leagues right away?" Harris asks.

Charlie plays with a fork. "Still in the air right now," is all he says.

"I'd love to see you play ball," Harris continues. "You know, I know some college scouts that would also be interested as well. I can set something up for you if college is your route."

"How are your grades?" my father asks.

"Dad," I whine. "Leave him alone."

"I just want to know if he can get into college."

My uncle rightfully slaps him. "I've seen the biggest duds get into the Ivy Leagues just because of sport. With Evans here, he can get into any college he'd like."