Chapter Six - Charlie

Seth groans after slamming the truck's door shut. "Don't take your anger out on my truck!" I yell. He throws his backpack on the ground in frustration and lets out a huge sigh. "This year will fly by and you know it."

"That's what they want you to think," he grumbles as he picks up his backpack. "Our system is set up so that we feel defeated. We're all set up to fail."

I roll my eyes. "Stop with the dramatics. Some people just don't excel in school."

"Why do you always do this to me? I just want to complain and you're making it real hard for me to do so." As we head our way into the school, I take this time to really remember this moment. It's our last first day of school and I'm getting a little nostalgic. I've known this school for four years now and next year we all will be in a completely different place. Once we walk in through the familiar doors, I check out all the freshman that I will never get to know or will ever care to know. I look at the same old – some new – lockers that run along some hallways. I watch old friends hug each other in the halls and tell their summer vacation stories. I feel the stuffy halls as the air conditioning isn't working once again. "Dude, where is my locker?" Seth says as several kids in front of us suddenly stop to talk in the middle of the hallway. "Pissing me off," he says underneath his breath.

I take his piece of paper that states all of his classes and his locker number from him and see where it is. "Dude you're right by me. It's by the cafeteria."

"I hate that you know this."

"Shut up." By the time that we get to our respective lockers, we both have built up a thin layer of sweat due to the heat. "What's your first class?" I ask as I try to find the rhythm of my new combination.

"I got Spanish. Yo tengo español."

"Is that the extent of your language skills?"

"Pretty much." I finally get my locker open and after putting my things in there and taking some supplies out, I close the locker and turn to Seth who's still opening up his.

"I have to go meet up with Kate. Do I have to supervise you?"

He sighs loudly and says, "I think I'll make it." As I'm heading down the hallway I hear him call after me, "I love you boo!"

Shoving my way through the halls, I finally reach our gym area and Kate is already waiting by the doors. "Hey sorry I'm late," I say as I kiss her on the cheek.

"That's alright. Hey I just want to apologize for last night. I can't believe my mom did that." She grabs my hand and puts it onto her waist. "I feel so embarrassed and I hope that you're not too angry."

"I didn't like what she did too. But I mean, I am your first boyfriend so she must be protective of you."

"When did I say that you're my first boyfriend?" she laughs.

I pause before speaking. "Oh."

"I mean – the last time I had a boyfriend my mom probably assumed that we were just classmates." She notices my shock and she laughs. "I'm sorry. You are my first real boyfriend. You were also my first kiss."

"Oh. Okay." She once again laughs at me and I can feel my cheeks redden.

"It's alright Charlie. I won't hold this against you, but I do want a kiss before I go." I lean down intending a quick peck, but Kate leans into me. I can feel eyes on us as we stand in the hallway making out and my cheeks start to redden. I move back and smile awkwardly. "I'll see you at lunch?" she says as she starts to part. All I do is nod.