chapter ten

- BETTER LATE THAN NEVER -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

SLEEP NEVER CAME easy. It never had, and she feared it never would. That fear, however, was the least of her worries as the white ceiling above held her eyes hostage. For an hour at least, she couldn't remove her gaze as Finnick's testament from earlier that evening rang through her mind on repeat.

     There was no use trying to shrug it off, eight years having proven the effect of those sea-green eyes that would likely never pack up and leave. Not even for a good night's rest.

     "Goddamn..." She mumbled under her breath, rather aggressively shoving the red sheets off her body before she got to her feet.

     She wasn't quite sure what she was doing as she just stood still in her spot, her mind still not letting his words halt for a moment. And she still had to tell him she was in on the alliance.

     Another few minutes she wasted pacing back and forth across the gray carpeted floor, her hand at war with the doorknob having grazed her touch across it before jumping away as if she'd catch the plague.

     "Is this really how this is going to go?" She spoke to no one but herself, her hands waving about as her rationale started to dwindle.

     It was a peculiar thought, somewhere in the back of her head she'd even say it's absurd to think her longtime friend could've possibly been speaking of her. Although, since her games, her sense of reality was never all there.

     In this liking, there was some sort of feeling she got when he spoke. Be it a voice in her head that was like an angel on her shoulder or even a demon dangling a prize so sweet, yet just out of reach. Something was insisting he spoke of her.

     No matter the folly, she ignored the possible consequences of opening that door and instead walked right past the threshold and started her spontaneous venture to the fourth floor.

     She tried to pay no mind to all the nagging and insecure questions she asked herself as she stepped foot in the elevator and hesitantly pushed the correct button.

     What if his words had nothing to do with her? What if he laughed after she would inevitably pour her heart and soul out and slam the door in her face? What if he didn't share in those feelings she possessed?

     This was wrong and she was right the first time. This is completely and utterly ridiculous. Stupid even.

     And then something took the forefront of her mind, something she's dreamed about for ages. She pondered over the idea of what if he did?
What if his heartfelt promise he spoke of wasn't just a gimmick to stop the games? What if his words were for her? What if he loved her?

     Nadia let out a long and rigid breath, her knees feeling heavier at the thought alone. God, wouldn't that be something?

     The elevator stopped, her stomach a mess of nausea and butterflies, and she was certain it wasn't from the ride up. The only thing, or rather the only person, who could make her feel this way was behind the door across the way.

     She didn't have many chances after this, hell she could be dead in no more than twenty-four hours, so her options were quite bleak. Either she tells him now or she may never get the opportunity again. Terrifying no matter the simplicity.

Through shallow breaths she half thought would kill her and the chilled air that surrounded the grand hallway of The Capitol's tribute center, she made it to the main room for the District Four tributes.