chapter fourteen

- NEVER ENDING AGONY -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

FINNICK'S ARMS WERE only a sanctuary in the light of day when she still had control in her wake. When the light faded and darkness spilled into her subconscious, it took over like spilled ink on clean paper.

"Stop! Please, please!" She screamed as he shoved her face into the ground with his free hand where blood pooled beneath her. The snow against her skin was so cold in contrast to her burning, red cheeks that were first lit by fear and now pain.

Nadia's brow formed a deep crease as her grip on Finnick's arm tightened to the point he himself winced in his slumber.

"There's only one victor, Nadia." He spoke through a crack in his voice. Though he was completely and utterly blinded by the games he was cursed with, his heart shattered at the pained cries she was only barely able to release.

Begging whimpers escaped her lips as she wound her eyes shut so tightly, Nadia sending a plea for mercy as quiet words of protest were muttered against Finnick's chest.

She finally had the knife, holding onto it with all the strength she had left, her attention drawn back to the boy muttering in hesitance. "...I'm so sorry."

"Please..." Her voice was strangled and helpless which caused Finnick to stir. She couldn't bear to replay this haunting memory again.

"I am too." Nadia paled as she spoke through a broken cry, her strength was slipping but she used every last ounce of her remaining willpower to reach up and jab her knife into his throat.

She couldn't breathe as blood slid down the handle, meeting her skin and then a drop of the crimson red fell and hit her cheek...

"Run!" Nadia's eyes shot open, her body jolting upward in a mix of instinct from hearing Katniss' scream, and fright that her past always brought her. "Run! The fog is poison!"

Nadia didn't have time to notice the tears that stained her cheeks before she was helping Mags onto Finnick's back and sprinting in succession to Katniss and Peeta's path through the jungle.

The dark made everything worse, now in providing a nuisance as it blanketed their eyes from seeing a clear path in front of them. Their trips and stumbles allowed the poison to gain ground swiftly.

Nadia, Katniss and Peeta were held up for a moment, the former glancing around to take in the sight of what appeared to be harmless fog. Judging by the screams that escaped Katniss, it was quite the opposite.

The trio had to switch paths again once realizing the fog was spilling into their intended one, Nadia feeling the rush of adrenaline pump through her veins as she tried to focus on nothing but the task of getting away.

"Go, go, go!"

Nadia caught sight of a clearer path straight ahead, but this slight distraction caused her to trip over Katniss who'd fallen after she'd got her foot caught on a root sticking up from the ground.

She groaned, lifting herself to her elbows and whipping her head in the direction of the fog before she was shuffling back to her feet hastily.