chapter seventeen

- DRAGGED UNDER -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

"THIS ENTIRE ARENA seems to be laid out like a clock with a new threat every hour. But they stay only within their wedge." Katniss explained as they walked across one of the aisles of rock that all surrounded the cornucopia.

     "It all starts with the lightning, then the blood rain, fog, monkeys. That's the first four hours." She continued, pointing out each wedge and where she figured the terrors came from.

     "At ten, that big wave hits from over there." Katniss gestured to one of the sections as they spread around the island that was the centerpiece of the whole arena, everyone scouting out the clock.

     "Wiress, you're a genius." Finnick said with a snicker, taking his place beside Nadia with a smirk on his face. He felt more secure to know the mechanics of the arena.

     "Look, the tail points to twelve." Peeta pointed to the end of the silver structure.

     "That's where the lightning strikes at noon and midnight." Nadia added to the girl's concept. Katniss looked to her and took a moment to nod in approval. Nadia was just grateful she hadn't shot an arrow at her yet.

"Strikes where?" Beetee asked as he readjusted his grip on the spool of wire he had practically attached to his hip, not daring to let his precious invention out of his sight.

"That big tree." Katniss said, pointing again to the tree that stuck out like a sore thumb.

Beetee pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose and squinted his eyes in that direction. "Good."

From behind the group that gathered around Peeta as he used his machete to draw in the black sand, was Wiress, crouching by the edge of the stone singing, but it sounded for like chanting.

"Hickory dickory dock. The mouse ran up the clock. The clock struck one, the mouse ran down. Hickory dickory dock." Wiress continued to sing as she hugged her knees to her chest.

Nadia only removed her gaze that was fixated on her when Peeta spoke up, the woman still glancing back every few seconds to make sure she didn't fall in.

"So, twelve to one, lightning... Then, one to two is blood. Then fog... And then monkeys." He said as he rubbed his chin in thought once finishing his little diagram for everyone to see.

"Hickory dickory dock. The dog barked at the clock. The clock struck three..." Apollo found Nadia's gaze from across their small circle, the pair sharing concerned looks for the woman as her eyes shot back and forth worriedly from the ocean to the cornucopia.

"And then ten to eleven, the wave." Katniss ran her hands through her hair that was a little frizzy from the humidity, looking over Peeta's shoulder as he finished writing everything out.

"What about the rest of them?" Nadia put forward her inquiry as she looked between Apollo, Johanna and Beetee. "Did you guys see anything?"

"Nothing but blood." Johanna answered as she crouched down using her axe to balance, analyzing Peeta's work.

     "It doesn't really matter. As long as we steer clear of whichever sector is active, we'll be safe." Peeta stood straight and shrugged, one hand resting on his hip as he gripped his machete more firmly.

"Yeah, relatively speaking." Finnick added just as a gasp sounded behind them, the group all turning to Wiress.

Nadia retrieved a knife in a second, but the sight of Gloss with an arm around her neck as the other slid a knife across her throat made her grow tense.