chapter eighteen

- MIND OVER MATTER -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

"SO BESIDES BRUTUS and Enobaria, who's left?" Katniss crouched down in the sand just at the edge of the jungle where they decided to rest and think up a plan.

"Maybe Chaff." Peeta answered, rubbing a bit of packed on dirt from his cheek. "Just those three."

Nadia looked over their group of seven as the tensions had suddenly risen after they'd put the small amount of people left into consideration. They could all feel the spider-like creeping sensation crawling up their backs. The only way around it is if Plutarch sticks to his word and gets them out.

"They know they're outnumbered. I doubt they'll attack again." Finnick added.

"We're safe here on the beach." Apollo stated as he swung a sword around from a couple feet away so as to not inflict an accidental stab wound on anybody. He wouldn't tell anybody, but he was still a little rusty.

"So what do we do, we hunt 'em down?" Johanna questioned impatiently, the woman annoyed at the thought of just lying around in wait.

"Would it kill you to embody even a hint of patience?" Apollo asked with his head tilted to the side, the woman practically growled at him in reply which only egged him on further.

"Would it kill you to keep your opinion to yourself?" She shot back as she stood up, the grip she had on her axe meant to be threatening even though she would never use it on her friends. Which would miraculously include Apollo.

"How old are we—?" Apollo was cut off, drowned out by the sound of a young, feminine scream coming from the jungle.

"Katniss, help me!" The voice called out in desperation to the girl, her eyes going wide as she jumped to her feet.

"Prim, Prim!" She shouted in worry before sprinting into the jungle.

"No, Katniss, wait!" Finnick called after her, Nadia shaking the memory of the birds from her own games before she was off after Katniss. The girl was so quick it made it hard to catch up.

Nadia knew Prim wasn't in the arena, but she was also familiar with one of the worst things that had ever came from the minds of the Gamemakers... Jabberjays.

"Katniss!" Nadia called, her stomach tightened as screams continued to spit an overwhelming worry into Nadia's head. She caught sight of a few of them flying overhead and it only made that nauseating feeling worse.

She finally caught up, her chest heaving slightly as she was still a little worn out after nearly drowning.

"You okay?" She asked, Katniss staring up at the sky with a whole train wreck of emotions on her face.

"Nadia!" The woman's eyes shot to the sky as a wince took her brow, her jaw clenched at the sound of Paisley's voice.

It's like her games never happened and she forgot it was probably just a way to brainwash her, Nadia starting to run deeper into the jungle after hearing it again.

"Paisley!" She yelled.

"Nadia, no. It's not her!" Katniss tried and failed to stop Nadia from running.

"Paisley!" She shouted again and was met with nothing, her mind had no room to think it through. The only thing she heard being the echoes of the girl's screams. "Paisley!"