chapter thirteen

- CONFESSIONS OF A PESSIMIST -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

LEARNING THE FORCE field was actually quite deadly and nearly losing one of their own, the group made their way through the jungle more cautious than before.

They had been walking for a bit, Katniss taking the lead making sure their path was safe with small stones she tossed at the force field every few feet to ensure they didn't have another accident. Peeta walked close behind her as Nadia and Finnick helped Mags along the uneven terrain.

"Hang on." Katniss stopped at a tree and slung her bow across her back before quickly making her way up the branches until she was high and out of sight.

Nadia and Finnick helped Mags take a seat on the ground, Nadia then laughing under her breath as she looked to the young boy, almost sympathetically. "I'm surprised she didn't drag you up the tree with her."

"Right..." Peeta let out a small, quiet chuckle as he and Finnick sat down, Nadia still on her feet as she fanned herself from the heat.

"Do you think they tried to make the heat unbearable, or is it just me?" Nadia asked Finnick with genuine curiosity, her hands waving frantically to try and find a bit of relief against the humid air.

"I do, actually." Finnick nodded assuredly, not even trying to hold back a smirk as he sat back against his palms. He didn't mind the heat, the weather in his district was like this more often than not. "They probably have a list of everything that would make Nadia Holloway miserable."

"And a list of everything to ensure Finnick Odair thrives." She quipped with a sarcastic smile, letting her head fall back dramatically.

"I take it you're a glass-half-empty kind of person?" Peeta inquired as he locked his hands around his knees, watching their exchange with a humored grin.

His words caused her to chuckle, the woman shrugging. "I do come off that way, don't I?" She then asked, looking between Finnick and Peeta inquisitively.

"Just a little." Finnick whispered back with his fingers pinched together.

"Optimism is a delicacy not even I can afford." She spoke simply to the boy, her riches never able to buy her things that could actually gain her back something as rare as sanity.

"Why not?" Peeta shrugged in question, Nadia almost jealous of how eased he seemed to be, even when they were stuck in a deadly arena to fight to the death. "I know the situation is less than ideal, but you can hope, right?"

She looked to have considered it, the woman heard this pitch many a time and people who've tried to talk some sense never get through to her.

"Anything that distracts you from keeping your guard up could cost you your life. Whether it's fear, anger, hope." She started, feeling as though she'd stated her argument time and time again. "Once your guard is down in this game, you might be too late to build it back up."

Peeta supposed she had a point and though he knew very little about the woman, he felt every victor had a struggle with optimism once they escaped the arena.

"Oh!" Peeta looked back to the woman as she quickly walked over, lifting the medallion from her neck and holding it out for him. "I figure you can have this back."

He took it with his brows slanted in wonder. "How did you get this?"

"Long story." She said, the boy only further confused.