chapter three

- SOUND OF SILENCE -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

IN THE SPAN of one week, the time Nadia's been back home, the weather had changed dramatically and snow was falling relentlessly. District Five was one of the colder districts, especially when winter hit.

     Bundled up in multiple layers with thick winter boots clad to their feet, Nadia and Paisley trekked through the snow hand in hand, walking along the streets of their district.

     Their district was one of the wealthier ones being that they provided the hydroelectric dam powering The Capitol and all surrounding districts. There was, however, a village up the mountain, a ways from the town square where the temperature turned dangerous come November.

     The Summit was located around a half a mile away from the rest of the district's residence and provided most of the natural fatalities each year.

     Before winning her games, her and her family resided up that mountain as well. Sometimes she wished she still lived there. She'd much rather have hypothermia multiple times a year than live in 'luxury' and do all that she does for The Capitol.

     "Nadia, did you hear me?" Paisley tilted her head at the woman as she turned back to face her after her absent gaze focused on the small specks she could see that were homes in The Summit.

     She shook her head and smiled apologetically. "Sorry, Paise."

     "It's okay. My mind wanders too." Paisley comforted, the pair coming up on the market place in the center of the square.

     "So the test. How'd you do?" Nadia inquired.

     Paisley chuckled, barely able to contain her excitement. "I did really well. It was easy though."

     Nadia smiled proudly, not that it came as much of a surprise. Schooling has always come easy to Paisley, and it's a good thing too considering her ambitions for becoming something in regards to medicine.

     "Well, you are quite possibly the brightest mind in all of Panem." Nadia wrapped her arm around the girl's shoulders as they walked on and scanned the tables of merchandise.

     "Yeah, yeah." Paisley waved her off but couldn't help the giddy laugh from escaping her lips.

     Nadia was sent to retrieve a few ingredients for dinner tonight and Paisley had to get a new bottle of morphling requested by her father who had been fighting an illness for quite a few months now.

     Scavenging the area for the best vegetables, Nadia noticed there wasn't much of any produce for sale. She supposed it was due to the weather changing.

     A smile found her lips once spotting a small selection of various vegetables spread neatly across one of the tables.

     She started towards the merchant, but looking up she realized who exactly was behind the table and she halted in her stride.

     An old woman sat behind the table and looked to be bickering with a man who had one of her vegetables in hand like he was assessing the quality.

     Nadia was quick to back away in hopes to remain undetected, the woman quickly spotting Paisley at a table of assorted medicines.

     "Paisley, hey." Nadia held onto Paisley's shoulders and looked into her eyes pleadingly. "I need a favor."

     Paisley furrowed her brows, slowly nodding as Nadia calmed slightly and let go of her. "Can you go get some carrots and tomatoes from that woman over there? I'll get the medicine—"