chapter sixteen

- TICK TOCK -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

THE NIGHT OF torture that felt everlasting finally came to its end as the sun was just beginning to peak over the horizon.

Everyone was hungry after the eventful night, so while Katniss and Peeta roamed the beach for oysters, Finnick and Nadia were trying to catch fish.

"The sun's coming up quick so keep an eye on your shadow." Finnick instructed as they stood at the edge of the water and he handed her his trident.

"Slow and small movements, okay? They see you, they're gone." Finnick explained, looking from her to the surface of the water that was hard to see through with the sky only now turning light.

"Watch my shadow, no sudden moves. Got it." She nodded as she adjusted his trident in her hands before slowly following him into the shallow sea.

"You have to be quick and precise." He spoke softly to ensure they weren't seen or heard by the fish they were hunting.

"I don't know about this." Nadia shook her head as she stared at the water in doubt. If he did it himself, they'd for sure have something for breakfast. "Wouldn't you rather you do it to ensure we actually eat?"

"Nadia, you've already got good coordination. You just need to calm down and focus." He instructed, speaking calmly with a smile behind his words like he thought he was funny.

"They can smell fear." He added through a mocking whisper and had to hold back a chuckle so he didn't scare any fish away.

Nadia glared at him and pointed the trident at his chest, raising a challenging brow. "Watch it, Fish Boy."

He raised his arms in surrender, the man unable to come up with a protest under her gaze and the way she looked holding his trident in a threatening manner. But, he couldn't admire her any longer as his eye was caught by a fish swimming around a few feet away.

"Nadia, Nadia, right there." He pointed it out and she spotted it quickly, adjusting her grip around the weapon once more.

"I really don't think I can do this." She squinted her eyes in dismay as her head shook back and forth, taking a slow step back from the fish still minding its own business.

"Come on, just try one time. If you miss, I'll take over." He reasoned with a bit of urgency on his tongue, his eyes glancing back and forth between the fish and Nadia. "Just know I'll make fun of you for it."

The comment only fueled her competitive nature so she focused back on the fish as she muttered under her breath. "Over my dead body."

"That's the spirit." Finnick encouraged monotonously as to remain calm, but he was eager as he watched Nadia slowly approach the fish.

"No sudden movements..." Nadia whispered to herself before taking in a breath she would then hold hostage as she readied herself to attack.

Quickly she sent the speared end down onto the fish and beginner's luck proved true again as her eyes widened once she realized she actually caught it.

"That's my girl!" Finnick waded through the water excitedly to help her out with the fish that was trying to thrash around on the end of the trident. "See? You know, you should listen to me more often."

"But it's more fun to watch you squirm." She countered, Finnick taking over as he took the trident in his hands and assessed the fish.

"Got a good catch too." He said smiling at her with that stupidly adorable smile where his dimples would appear and his eyes would light up. She'd hate it if she didn't love it so much.