chapter six

- THE BIG LEAGUES -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

SHE FORGOT HOW suffocating the parade was. All these people cheering for one, rooting for one to win a game that left twenty-three others dead. It was just a television show to them, strictly for their enjoyment.

Nadia and Apollo were headed straight for the elevators after the parade, both feeling overly tired from the amount of smiling they had forced.

As they walked, Nadia's brows turned down and her hand came up to Apollo's chest to stop him. There by the elevators, Cyrus stood talking to Plutarch Heavensbee, the head Gamemaker after Seneca Crane was killed.

Speaking of, Nadia knew exactly what happened to the previous Gamemaker as one of the many forms of payments from her clients were secrets. Things she aught not to know.

"What is he doing talking to him?" Apollo questioned more to himself, the two sharing a look as Plutarch handed the man an envelope, rather secretively by the looks of it.

Just as Cyrus tucked the suspicious letter into his coat pocket, Nadia and Apollo came walking over, their expressions obvious in showing them they saw it.

Plutarch smiled as he looked between the two like nothing happened, nodding a hello. "Ms. Holloway, Mr. Clarke. It's a pleasure."

"Wish I could say the same." Apollo grinned sarcastically tucking his hands into his bright and shiny pockets.

"What's that?" Nadia smiled passively, crossing her arms over her chest with a nod to Cyrus' pocket. The look shared between the two men was not at all helping with Nadia and Apollo's growing suspicions.

Instead of answering, Plutarch only snickered and stepped a little closer so his hushed voice could be heard between the two. "You'll find out soon enough."

"That's reassuring, thanks." Apollo's lips formed a tight line, irritation mixing with mistrust.

"You know, being vague gets you nowhere." Nadia assured the man.

He didn't answer, the only thing close to a response was the smile he offered in continuation to ignore their questions.

"I better get back to work." He said with this underlying urgency to get away. There weren't many people who could get past Nadia's ability to read a person.

In succession to Plutarch's absence, Apollo and Nadia were like hunters tracking their prey in the way they were on Cyrus' heel in a second.

"What the hell was that?" Apollo inquired, all three stepping into the elevator.

Cyrus rolled his eyes, lazily leaning against the wall of the elevator. A chuckle passed his lips, and after years of observing him, Nadia knew she wasn't going to get a straight response. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

The elevator dinged signaling their floor and Cyrus wasn't helping their worries as he rushed out and towards his room.

"I realize helping is a new thing for you, but is it really necessary to tease us?" Nadia unclasped the straps around her ankles and kicked off her heels before she started taking apart her hair, all the while keeping her stare on the man in question.

"Look..." Cyrus sighed lowly, his shaky hand pointed at her. "You're just gonna have to trust me."

Apollo and Nadia seemed to share a simultaneous scoff, both their faces contorting in a peculiar way at the outright humorous words Cyrus spoke.