chapter eight

- OUNCE OF PREVENTION -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

WITH THE GAMES starting in approximately twenty-four hours, the entirety of The Capitol was eager to hear just about anything from the tributes. This was an all-star year, if you will, and the excitement was unmatched. It was sick.

This evening was the pre-game interviews, but unlike years prior, Nadia had a sense that everyone shared in one thought. And that would be preventing the games.

Her face was being dabbed with powder and all kinds of products to make her look bold, Birdie and Dightery both working away on her makeup to show off their expertise and ensure her features popped.

"You're going to absolutely love your dress." Birdie said, finishing up with the eyeshadow.

"Oh, yes! Clementine has certainly outdone herself." Dightery added and they both simultaneously laughed as though they'd practiced it.

Nadia chuckled at the pair of them as they continued boasting about the extravagance of her dress and how amazing she looked with each gemstone they stuck to her eye lid or with the sprinkles of glitter that covered her from her head to her chest.

Now with their makeup look complete, Birdie and Dightery were having a fit of an argument, both going on about who did the better job. They'd stepped aside so Nadia could see herself in the mirror, and like she's done so many times before, she had to tune her prep team out.

Her eyes were the same color as her dress that she had yet to catch a glimpse of, a deep, warm orange that was accentuated with bright gems and splashes of glitter. There didn't seem to be a place left without the sparkly dust.

The orange didn't stop at her eyes, Birdie having painted a few strands of her hair the same color before braiding it up into a crown. Judging by her makeup and wardrobe for this year's games, she couldn't wait to see what Clem made this time.

Once everything was in place, not a single off strand, and no sooner did they finish, Clem had practically shoved Nadia behind a curtain so she could changed.

"Hurry, hurry. I'd like you to be good and ready before Marjorie sticks her red face in here and starts demanding you be hasty." Clem spoke quickly, waiting impatiently outside the dressing room.

However, Nadia was confused, staring at the large bag hanging in front of her. She tilted her head in wonder, curious as to why another one of her skimpy dresses was put in such a big bag.

"What's this?" Nadia asked.

"Your dress." Clem replied, Nadia swore she could hear the smirk in her voice. Along with the impatient tapping of her foot.

"It's a lot." She said, unzipping the bag and fabric just started spilling out. Ever since she was made a Desirable, the most fabric she ever wore could only cover the body of a small child. This was just odd.

"Put it on and put it on quick." Clem spoke as she brushed her hand against the curtain to show her displeasure, checking the time on the clock hung on the wall.

Nadia shook her head and took the plastic covering off the dress all the way to reveal that dark orange color. It was warm, which was outright confusing as she was only ever permitted to wear bold and bright colors so she'd stand out. She supposed this would do the job with how many layers there were.

"Are you sure this is my dress? I haven't worn something so... big since before my games." Nadia questioned again, wanting so badly for it to be hers.