Chapter Fourteen

Ashton pulls over at the kerb in front of my house and shuts off the car

Ashton pulls over at the kerb in front of my house and shuts off the car. The only light comes from the streetlights, casting the car into shadows.

'Well, I should probably get going–'

'My family is crazy,' Ashton interrupts me. 'Everyone fights with everyone. It's never-ending. Dad wants me to come work for him doing carpentry. Every time he brings it up, mum argues with him over it. Then Frankie gets going too, because she's mad he never asks her to work for him. Toby is kind of an idiot, but he's only eight. But at the end of the day, we all still... love each other.'

He turns to face me, holding me with his eyes.

'But I guess that's what family is. Your family could be the most compatible people for you and you'd still fight and argue with them. But I guess whatever I'm trying to say is moot because your family isn't even here. Wow, I'm sorry and I'm also stupid, just forget I said anything at all...'

'I think I get what you're trying to say. Although, I can't say I'm not jealous... even with all that fighting.'

'That's only because you haven't seen them in action yet,' Ashton grins.

'I'm sorry about tonight. I didn't mean to get... like that.'

'It's fine.'

I take a deep breath. It's not like anything is going to change if I tell him.

'Mum abandoned us when I was in year six,' I begin. 'She usually woke me up every morning for school, but that day she didn't wake me. I slept in pretty late. When I finally got up, no one was home. Dad left early so he usually wasn't there anyway. But mum wasn't there at all. I looked for her, couldn't find her. I waited a while, but eventually I just decided to get myself ready for school. I was lucky we lived close enough to walk. I was pretty late. At the end of the day, I waited over two hours to be picked up. I guess I was hoping that morning had been a nightmare or something, but she still didn't show up. The school called her but she didn't answer. They called dad. When he got there, he was furious. He tried looking for her when we got home too. Then he found a letter she'd left for him. She said she was moving and changing her number and she didn't want to hear from us again. Dad just threw the letter away, and that was it. He was mad, but he never talked about it.'

My throat grows tight then, as if in reminder that we're not supposed to talk about this stuff.

'That's how it's always been. Then after that, he just worked more, even on holidays. He told me to keep walking to school, and if I got sick of walking to catch the bus. I was basically left on my own. Which is fine! I don't really mind it so much.'

I glance out the window at the house, dark and uninviting.

'Apart from a handful of postcards, I haven't heard from her at all. I only know she's living in Melbourne.'

Ashton is quiet. The car is so silent I can almost feel it with my fingertips, like a thick hazy blanket of fog. Shifting my legs, I squirm in my seat.

'A-anyway, I'm sorry for dropping this all on you,' I wring my hands, fidgeting. Ashton places a hand on mine and squeezes.

'You have nothing to apologise for.'

I look up at him. He's so close his smell overwhelms me, notes of orange and musk. My face heats.

A bright light washes across the interior of the car. My eyes squint through the light, adjusting until I recognise the familiar car. 

'My... my dad's home?'

Dad's car pulls into the driveway and turns off. The door opens and he gets out. His face is turned in our direction, but I can't make out his expression in the dark.

'I should get going,' reluctantly, I pull my hands out of Ashton's grasp and climb out of the car.

'I'll see you Monday,' he says.

Nodding, I close the door and hurry up to the front door, where dad is waiting.

'Who was that?' he asks, unlocking the door and letting us inside.

'My friend gave me a lift home.'

'It was a boy. He's already gone too. Why didn't he wait to make sure you got inside safe?'

Frowning, I check over my shoulder, looking for Ashton's car, but it's gone.

'I dunno, maybe because you were right there staring at us?'

'And it's almost midnight. What were you doing out so late?'

His eyes dart down at the cruisers in my hand. I head towards the kitchen, keeping my head high despite the interrogation.

'Where did those come from? Were you at a party?'

'I texted you about the party,' I laugh.

'What's so funny?'

'My friend bought me the drinks. I was supposed to drink them tonight but I didn't get a chance.' I slide the cruisers into the fridge.

'Was this the same friend that dropped you off? Was he drinking too?'

Dad put his hands on his hips.

'Of course not, he was driving.'

'I don't think you should have those,' he opens the fridge, reaching for the cruisers.

'What? Dad, he bought them for me. I turned eighteen two months ago and I've never even had a sip of something.' I grab his arm and he stops, straightening back up. A guilty expression marrs his face.

'Sorry,' he sighs, scratching the back of his neck. 'I just blinked and all of a sudden, you weren't a little kid.'

Ironically, I'm not ready for this conversation for dad. 

'It's late, I'm going to bed.' I shrug, turning on my heel for my room. 

Dad is already gone when I wake up the next morning.