Chapter Thirteen

I look up at Ashton sitting directly across from me

I look up at Ashton sitting directly across from me. A red-faced Stephanie hovers near, standing outside the cirlce now, her arms folded tight against her chest. She's wearing that usual disappointed expression I've come to recognise as Stephanie.

Ashton stands, holding out a hand for me. My eyes follow him, dazed, before taking his hand and rising to my feet. His hand is warm, and he squeezes reassuringly.

'There's a linen cupboard over here...?' says Laura, smiling and leading us to a blank door in the hallway.

Ashton opens the door and pulls me inside.

'Wait, I just think it's not okay that–'

Stephanie is cut off as Ashton slams the door shut behind us.

It's cramped. The back wall of the cupboard is lined with shelves and filled with musty smelling sheets. The walls on either side are bare, but the tiny room is only as wide as the door. He's still holding my hand.

'We don't have to do anything, you know. I didn't even know people really played these games in Australia,' I laugh, but it sounds forced.

He plays with my fingers, then loops his fingers through, his thumb rubbing circles on the back of my hand. 

'But... what if I wanted to kiss you?' He doesn't look up from our hands.

My stomach flips and my breathing grows laboured. He looks up finally, his warm brown eyes piercing mine.

'You look so good in that dress,' he mumbles.

My face floods red and hot as I gape at him.

'You- but you look-'

He leans down and breathes into my neck.

'Can I kiss you?'

I gasp as his words whisper into my skin. I can't move, can't speak.

'I need you to tell me,' he raises his head to look back into my eyes. 'Yes or no.'

My heart races before I squeak out a soft, 'yes.'

And then Ashton leans down and presses his lips against mine. He groans as he pushes his body against me. He drops my hand to circle his arms around my waist, grabbing possessively. Timidly, I raise my hands to hold his waist. But it's not enough. His kisses begin to grow rougher as he bites my lip. I let out a soft moan in response. I need to feel his skin. I pull and paw at his shirt until my hands are underneath, gripping at his skin. He pushes a tongue into my mouth and I squeak in surprise. I feel his lips smile against mine. His hands drop to my hips, kneading and gripping, and my hands rise to his neck. My fingers dance around the chain he wears, before creeping up to his hair, running my fingers through.

Finally, Ashton breaks away, pulling back. His lips are red and his eyes wild. He bends back down again, kissing along my jaw until he reaches the base of my neck.