Chapter Two

I make a note in my diary to check back on the posters later during the week to see if any of the tags have been ripped off

I make a note in my diary to check back on the posters later during the week to see if any of the tags have been ripped off. After my conversation with Ashton, the bell had rung and I'd gone straight to my next class, tossing and turning the idea of working with him, until the lunch bell finally dismissed me.

Lunch is usually a painful experience. I sit with a small group of girls that I share absolutely zero interests with. But I prefer it this way. If, at some point, these girls decide to dump me, ghost me or desert me, I wouldn't feel any real disappointment or sadness. This way, I'm safe.

By the time I've dropped off my books in my locker and grabbed my sandwich, the heat has caught up to me. The picnic table we usually eat at is in the senior courtyard, partially shaded from the midday sun. But the table is already preoccupied by Ryan, a boy from my maths class. A large bouquet of red roses sit on top of the table and any empty space is adorned with pink and red balloons.

'What's going on?' I ask Ryan when I reach the table. Although I'm quite short myself, he's not much taller than me, and even standing over him sitting down, he feels small. His size is amplified by his personality. Although I suppose that's not fair– I don't know him very well. I wonder if this is all here for one of the girls. I list each one off in my head, deciding that this is probably for Stephanie.

He smiles wide, picking up the flowers and presenting them to me. Me?

'Oh. Am I dreaming? I must be dreaming,' I force out a fake laugh. Ryan just shakes his head, chuckling.

'You're not dreaming, Billie.'

'What's this?'

I glance behind me to find Stephanie and the other girls I usually sit with.

'I think he's asking someone out,' I shrug. 'I'm gonna run to the canteen before the line gets too long, I'll be right back.'

'Wait, don't go!' Ryan grabs my shoulder and pulls me back, now standing. 'This is for you,' he presents the bouquet of flowers again. I can feel something low in my stomach begin to rise. I shoot a pleading glance at Stephanie and the others, but she just stares back at me with an empty expression. The sun has managed to find the only unshaded spot in the entire courtyard, beating down on me. My uniform sticks to me.

'This isn't funny,' I glare daggers at Ryan.

'Uh... no, Billie, I'm serious. Will you go out with me?' He pleads. Begs, even. His eyes widen, like a dog. Although dogs are cute, and you usually give in and give them what they want. Ryan just looks pathetic. Just when a gag has almost reached my throat, a new voice enters the foray.

'Oh my days!'

I groan. Ashton Hunt, twice in one day? I'm having the worst luck. He watches me, eyes wide in glee, a Bounty chocolate bar grasped in one hand.

'This is like a public proposal!' he throws back his head with laughter.

But he's right. Sometimes I force myself to hate-watch video compilations of public proposals gone wrong. I hate public proposals with a burning, fiery passion. I don't care if he is the richest, most attractive, most charming and kindest man in the entire world– If someone ever publicly proposes to me, it is a non-negotiable no.