[Seventeen]

The Fine Line of Rejection.

Deki felt refreshed as she sat beside Misan in the cab as they made their way back from the warm water spring. They had just had one of the best meals of their lives at a roadside food stall, something Misan often indulged in because it reminded him of a time in his life.

The long hours of sleep the previous day gave her a rejuvenation that she didn't even realise that she needed. They had been out all day, from the Erin waterfall to the Ikogosi warm spring, they've had an adventurous day that she didn't want the day to end.

She felt so relaxed, she wished they could just stay in their room all day tomorrow, and bask in the moment, the beauty of just being together in each other's company. It was all Misan ever wanted, that they made time for each other and she felt bad that she always castigated him for it. It felt nice to not be running a rat race in a never-ending competition. She hoped that in the future when she had achieved all her goals, they would be able to spend time together like this.

What Deki didn't understand was that, in life, there would always be goals, and there would always be a longing for more. Humans are insatiable and so even when she has attained the height in Riga and Ryon, she would want more, wish for more, and do more to achieve more. What she didn't understand was that, in life, you learn to make time for the things and the people you love. To make memories, you make time because, in the end, all we are left with are these memories.

Memories for us to relive when we think about our loved ones. In the end, we all become memories.

"You good, spicey?" Misan's voice called her out of her relaxed haze.

"Hmmm," she hummed wrapping her hands around his arm and leaning in to rest her head on his shoulder.

He patted her hand, placed a kiss on her forehead, and smiled at her.

"I am sorry," She said in an almost whisper. He almost didn't hear her if it wasn't for the vibrations against his arms that emanated from her chest.

"hmm?"

"I am sorry"

He unwrapped her hands from his arm so he could look at her. She seemed fine but a little emotional.

"Why are you sorry, babe? What's the matter?"

She smiled.

"For all the times you tried so hard to make me take a break from work so we could spend time together or so I could rest, for every time I turned you down and accused you of being jealous of my ambition."

He chuckled.

"Spicyyyy," he called, dragging it out so sweetly. "Do you think I took it to heart?"

She shook her head.

"Good. Look I've been in your shoes, I've had friends who were like you, I've seen your parents and I know it's not easy to change but you just need to prioritize your health, your relationships, and yourself."

She nodded, leaning into him and he engulfed her in a hug. It was his favourite thing to do anyway, he loved hugging her to himself and even though she used to hate the excessive cuddling, it was one of her favourite things now.

"You know how you always used to say I was too touchy and that wasn't your love language?" Misan asked chuckling.

She slapped his chest lightly, feigning anger.

"Must you remind me?"

"Oh yes, I will, because, for someone whose love language isn't touch, you're such a clingy girlfriend." He chuckled. "ouch."