Chapter 19- Meetings and Confessions

Yasmin's POV:

The night had left me and Rafael drained, our energy levels plummeting as soon as we entered the penthouse. I could feel the weight of the day pressing down on me, each step towards the bedroom feeling heavier than the last. All I wanted was to collapse onto the soft comfort of my bed and let sleep claim me.

But just as I was about to shut the world out and succumb to exhaustion, my phone pierced the air with its insistent ringing. Glancing at the caller ID, I saw it was my father calling. Without hesitation, I answered, my mind racing with questions.

"Hi, Dad," I greeted, my voice betraying the curiosity and concern swirling within me.

"Yasmin, my dear," his familiar voice sounded, tinged with a hint of disappointment. "I wanted to talk to you about something important."

My heart skipped a beat, wondering what new development had occurred in my father's world. He'd surprised me with the potential partnership with Ethan and now there was something else... I was not prepared. "Of course, Dad. What is it?"

"It's about my potential partnership with Ethan Williams," he began, and I felt a jolt of annoyance shoot through me at the reminder that my dad was potentially working with my ex. Ethan, my ex-husband, a name I would like to forget, and certainly not one I expected to be associated with my father.

"Oh?" I replied, trying to keep my tone neutral despite the flood of memories and emotions his name evoked.

"Yes, and I think it would be beneficial for you to join me in a meeting with him," my father continued, his words drawing me in.

"You do?"

"He wants to discuss the details further," my father continued, "and I thought it would be best if you were there too. After all, you'll be taking over the hotel."

I blinked, surprised by his suggestion. "You want me to meet with Ethan?"

"I'll be there as well and you can bring someone," the way he stressed the word someone had me thinking he had someone in mind but I wasn't sure. "I think it's important for you to be involved in these discussions."

I hesitated, tempted to reveal the history between Ethan and me, but ultimately decided against it. How could I tell my father that I was engaged, married and divorced, all without him or any of my family present? It would undoubtedly break his heart and I wasn't willing to do so. "I'll be there."

"Good. I'll see you tomorrow then," he said warmly.

After bidding my father goodnight, I turned to Rafael, who had been silently observing the conversation. His expression was a mix of curiosity and concern.

"Everything okay?" he asked, his voice gentle.

I nodded, offering a reassuring smile. "My father wants to talk business with Ethan tomorrow and he wants me there. Can you join me?"

He nodded without hesitation. "I'll be there with you," he stated, his unwavering support a comforting anchor amidst the uncertainties swirling in my mind.

The night passed in a blur of restless sleep and tangled thoughts. When morning came, I woke up late, the sunlight streaming through the windows reminding me of the impending meeting with Ethan and my father. Rushing through my morning routine, I joined Rafael in the kitchen where he had prepared breakfast.

"Morning," he greeted me with a small smile.

"Morning," I replied, trying to shake off the remnants of sleep. "Did you sleep well?"

He shrugged, pouring me a cup of coffee. "As well as can be expected."

We sat down to eat, the atmosphere heavy with unspoken thoughts. Rafael broke the silence first, his gaze fixed on me. "Do you have any idea how your ex-husband knows your father?" he asked, his voice gentle but curious.

I shook my head, taking a sip of coffee to buy myself some time. "No, I don't. I've never spoke about one with the other. I'm just as curious to know how they met."

Rafael nodded, seemingly lost in his own thoughts. We finished our breakfast in silence, each lost in our own contemplations. After breakfast, we retreated to our rooms to get dressed, the minutes ticking by too quickly for my liking. Just before we left, Rafael stopped me with a question that caught me off guard.

"Yasmin," he began, his voice hesitant yet determined. "Do you remember what you said about talking when we were sober?"

My heart raced, my thoughts whirling as I searched for the right words. "Yes, I do." I remembered it quite well. With everything that was going on with Ethan I pushed those thoughts aside but now that he was asking me, it all rushed forward once again, the intensity of it all almost knocking me to my feet.

"Well I want you to know that I'm completely sober when I say this," Rafael took a deep breath, his eyes meeting mine with a sincerity that warmed my soul. "I like you, Yasmin. I really do. I don't know how or when it happened but at some point you presence engraved itself in my mind. I think about you whenever you're not near. I find myself smiling for no reason and I actually can't wait to be home in the evenings because I know I'll get to see you. I don't expect you to feel the same, so soon, not after what that bastard did to you but that's okay. I want us to get to know each other, to spend time together and hopefully at some point if you ever develop feelings for me, maybe there can be an us."

His confession hung in the air between us, and for a moment, time seemed to stand still. I wanted to throw my arms around him, and confess to feeling the same as him but I stopped myself. I didn't want to be one of those girls who jumped from one relationship to the next without taking time to heal. It would also be unfair to him if I expressed my interest in him only for it to be a rebound.

I mentally berated myself for leading him on when I wasn't even sure of my feelings. Not knowing what else to do I threw my arms around him, pulling him into a heartfelt hug.