x. interrogations

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

── interrogations

          𝕬urora placed the last instrument away, tucking everything in place before stretching. She'd just taught her first music lesson at camp, having been placed (to the surprise of no one) in the music section of the Apollo cabin. 

It had gone well, the kids were angels, and nothing was broken that couldn't be fixed. 

Her laptop lay open to the side, her songs up and ready to go as she waited for her next class. She needed to get the final song of the album finished and then she would be ready to go, ready to announce it at the next concert though she really wanted to do the games that revealed the album. But, her mom had said no.

Sitting down, Aurora put one headphone in, listening through the song again and again as she tried to find a mistake in the music or the lyrics. It had to be perfect, all of it. She wouldn't settle for anything else.

Focusing in, she barely heard the sound of her name by the boy hovering in her classroom door.

"Aurora, hey." Finally, he got tired of waiting, tapping her shoulder a few times as she yelped and jumped away from him.

"Luke, what the hell?" She hissed, placing her hand to her chest. "I could have died."

"That's a bit dramatic."

"No it's not!" Aurora replied with a scowl, before taking a deep breath. "What do you want?"

"Well, heard you came back yesterday, but didn't see you. You know, wanted to check in, see how it's all going." Aurora raised an eyebrow, as Luke began to try and find an excuse to put in instead of he wanted to see her. "I just wanted to know if it went smoothly, that's all. Not a lot of demigods go out into the world and are alright, so you could have had monster troubles, is that a crime to ask?"

"I didn't say anything."

"You were looking at me weird."

"That's my face, idiot!" Aurora shot back as Luke began to stumble, having realised that he'd screwed up. He hadn't meant to make her angry.

"And it's a very beautiful face but I was just asking how you were." Luke put his hands on his hips, trying to fight the urge to blush. He had always been able to talk to girls, to be flirty and charming and now, with Aurora in front of him, he failed every single time. What was wrong with him? Did Aphrodite have it out for him or something?

"I'm fine, thank you. I'm just tired."

"Why are you tired?"

"What is this? An interrogation?"

"I'm just asking!" Luke shot back, hands on his hips. "Sue me for being nice."

"I will. Why are you still treating me weirdly? You don't do this for everyone else!"