Chapter 16

Ash sat up. "What? It closin' time?" a grumpy voice asked. "That's Ash?" Dean asked, curious. "Mm hmmm. He's a genius." Jo nodded next to me. Ash finally got up from the bed with a folder he grabbed, sitting down while Dean stood behind him, and I sat next to Ash. "You've gotta be kidding me. This guy's no genius. He's a Lynyrd Skynyrd roadie." Dean grumbled. "I like you." Ash smiled. "Thanks." Dean's answer was sarcastic. "Just give him a chance," Jo poured some water into a glass, placing it in front of me. Dean sat on the chair where I sat while I moved to the other side, sitting on the bar next to Sam. "All right. This stuff's about a year's worth of our dad's work, so let's see what you make of it." Ash pulled out the papers and rifled through them. "Come on. This crap isn't real. There ain't nobody can track a demon like this." Ash shook his head in disbelief. "Our Dad could," I mumbled. "There are non-parametric, statistical overviews, prospects and correlations; I mean.. damn! They're signs. Omens. Uh, if you can track them, you can track this demon. You know, like crop failures, electrical storms... Have you ever been struck by lightning? It ain't fun." I raised an eyebrow. "Can you track it or not?" I asked. "Yeah, with this, I think so. But it will take time, uh, give me fifty-one hours." Ash said he got up when Dean stopped him, complimenting his haircut. "All business up front, party in the back." Ash flipped his hair around. I rolled my eyes. Showoff, I thought. Ash walked away. I sat at the bar watching Dean and Jo sitting together when Sam walked past me with a folder. "Dean, come here. Check this out." Sam called for Dean, who came walking up to him and talking to Dean about a case close they wanted to check out. I stayed with Ash and Ellen in the bar while Sam and Dean went to Wisconsin to solve that case. During that time, I got closer to Jo, who asked me many questions about my life with Dean and Sam. I answered a few questions, but a few were too hard to answer, mainly about Mom and Dad. "Stop it, Jo." Ellen intervened and pulled me into the backroom to hang out, but I thanked her and sat with Ash for a while. We talked a little while we waited, and Ash tried to locate the demon. "Hey Kaylee, your brother is on the phone and wants to know if you're okay," Ellen called from the bar. "Sam or Dean?" I asked. "Sam," she called back. "Im good." I smiled lightly before turning back to the beat-up Laptop Ash was using. Ellen came over when she ended the phone call. "How is it going?" she asked, looking over our shoulders. "Great, Ash and I are almost done." I smiled, looking up. "We were just talking about how you took Ash in," I said. "Ah yeah, little troubled Ash, he is an asset to our bar." Ellen patted Ash on the shoulder. "You know what my brothers are dealing with?" I asked. "Yeah, a Rakshasa." I looked confused. "A what?" I wondered. Ellen explained what that was. "Jesus Christ." my mouth was wide open. Sam and Dean returned from their hunt, exhausted, so Ellen gave out some beer with mine and Jo's help, who was gushing for Dean. Ash entered from the backroom. He and I were working on the Laptop together. Ash hadn't found the demon yet but would call if he found any hint. " Ash, where did you learn to do all this?" Sam asked while Dean was on the Laptop. "M.I.T." Ash answered. "It's a school in Boston," I whispered towards my brother. "I know, Kaylee." Sam started blushing. "Okay, you call us as soon as you know something?" Dean asked, passing the Laptop back to Ash. "Si si compadre." Ash saluted, I smiled, and they said goodbye. I was the last one. Ash winked at me, making me giggle even more until Dean pulled me out of the roadhouse. "I hate you so much," I grumbled, getting into the backseat. "Just keeping you safe." Dean shrugged his shoulder. We went back to Bobby's House. While Dean worked on the Impala, I often drove to the roadhouse and got closer to Ash. While he worked on the Laptop, I mostly helped Ellen behind the bar and Jo with serving during opening times. "Where are your brothers at the Moment?" Ellen asked me one day shortly after closing the bar. Jo sat on the other side of the bar while Ash slept. "Erm, I don't know. honestly, they're somewhere solving a case. Sam called me yesterday asking me about something case-related." I told her. I knew Sam was here a week ago. I was away for a minor case with Jo, which we solved. "Hey guys, I finally found something on the demon." Ash came running in with his beat-up Laptop. "Oh, cool, what?" I asked, walking around the bar and leaning against his shoulder. "I'm calling Dean now, telling him to get here as soon as possible." Ash was excited about getting on the phone with Dean immediately. While Ash was on the phone, I looked at the Laptop, but all I saw was weird stuff. "I'm heading to the store. Be back for rush hour." I kissed Ash before heading out of the door to my car and driving into town to go shopping. As I finished, I saw smoke coming from nearby, but I didn't realize it was the roadhouse. "Oh shit." I was driving down the road when I saw the burned-down roadhouse and the Impala parked in front of it. "What happened?" Dean asked as I got out of the car. "I have no Idea. It must have started after I left." I said, worried. "Where is Ash, Ellen or Jo?" I asked.