3: Wretched Retchers

The four had successfully cleared out 5/6 states in New Austin, there was only the graveyard in Tumbleweed, Gaptooth Ridge left to clear out, and the mineshaft in Gaptooth Breach.

Famine was using her super speed and unlimited stamina to cut across the grassland and reach Gaptooth Breach even quicker as the survivors were in need of aid. Ari clung to Famine's black mane and bent low over her withers to give the mare a more streamline figure. In no time they had reached the destination and assessed the trouble they were in.

Most of the survivors were stood ontop of the tents and some ontop of the house. Ari dismounted and climbed on the ledges of the house to see the survivors.

"I'd really appreciate it if you could give a hand to the others, I'm fine by myself." He says and continues shooting. Ari jumps down from house and runs to the other survivors and giving them ammo.

She goes back over to Famine and mounts up. Famine canters inbetween the tents while Ari shoots fire at the zombies. She hits a Retcher before it hits her, it bubbles up quickly and explodes, making Famine stumble forward and Ari lands on her neck.

"I didn't know they exploded." Ari states and repositions herself on Famine.

Most of the town had been cleared, there were only a few traditional zombies left. Ari shot fire at the last 3 zombies and watched as they burnt and perished. They heard hoofbeats and saw Pestilence and River were coming this way.

"They've closed the boarder." River says and jumps off Pestilence.

"What? Why?" Ari asks and jumps off Famine. The other two horses shift so they can have a proper conversation.

"The folks in Blackwater blame it on foreigners, they blame it on Seth, they blame it on West Dickens, hell they probably even blame us." River says.

"Well how are we going to get over the boarder. We can't fly!" Kelly exclaimed.

"I heard they were sending an army train down there near Benedict Point. Or at least thats what West Dickens said when we saw him."

"You saw him?" Ari questions once.

"Yeah after we got chased out of Tumbleweed. He was heading over to Fort Mercer." River shrugged amd began walking towards Benedict Pass, where hopefully the train would be.

"I thought he was heading to Peking? Or Paris?" Kelly questioned.

"Yeah he was." Ari snorted and shifted into War.

"Look we better sleep as its getting dark. West Dickens said the train leaves tomorrow afternoon so we should arrive in Mexico late tomorrow evening." Taylor says and shifts into Pestilence, along with everyone else.

They gallop on and make their way to Solomon's Folly to rest their for the night. Then by morning they would be in their way.

Upon arriving at Solomon's Folly about 10 minutes later the place was covered in a green smog, a sign of Retchers.

"Not again. We almost got blown up before." War sighs as they examine the area. There were at least 7 retchers, 3 bruisers and some bolters. Pestilence sighed and trotted down the hill.

"They aren't going to die themselves." He says and circles around the place to get the zombies attention. The Retchers start spewing their green phlegm everywhere which Pestilence narrowly misses. Death canters down the hill next and runs over some of the bruisers. War and Famine look at eachother before joining the boys and clearing out the small camp.

Soon enough all the zombies corpses were laying all around the ground. They all shifted into human form and dragged the corpses into a pile where Ari set them alight.

"That should do." Kelly says and goes to inspect the small tents which were there from prevoius survivors. There were no zombies camping out in them which were good. As she walked back to the others she didn't miss a stray Retcher lurking behind the broken brick wall, it was eyeing up Taylor.

"Tay look out!" Kelly shouted but it was too late, the Retcher opened its mouth and released a poisonous ball green which hit Taylor between his shoulder blades. He fell forward due to the force and almost thought nothing was wrong until a sickening burning sensation came from where he'd been hit. The substance was slowly eating a hole through his clothes and touching his back.

"What do we do?" War shouted in panic after firing a flame at the Retcher and burning it.

"I got it." River said and swirled some mist around his hand. Directing it towards Taylors back he let the mist go, it swept through the air and blew away the Retchers spew, leaving a pinkish circle on Taylors back.

"That was cool!" Kelly exclaimed and stood up from her kneeling position.

"Yeah I'd never done that before. You were kind of my guinea pig Tay." River jokes which earns a slap from Taylor.

"How is your back anyway?" Ari asks once Taylor is standing.

"Fine. I mean, I'm called Pestilence for a reason." He winks.

"No you're called Taylor. Your horse is called Pestilence." River states.

"We're literally the same being." Taylor states which is true.

"Whatever dude." River dimisses him. They all settle down for the night in a tent, ready for tomorrow's events.