Chapter 41

Silence echoed unnaturally, not a Dukari stirring. Bodies lay sprawled, their minds still beneath a new day.

Frost shook himself, forcing himself back to his feet. That lingering sense, the unnatural power, it was finally gone. He spun, ignoring the way his head pounded.

Kiri stumbled, his eyes bleary as he tried to keep his feet. He fell against Swift, head dropping over her back. "We need to bring Loki back... We need to get..."

Firestorm knelt, her head resting against one of the rogue's chests, "I'm sorry... I am so sorry... I- You were pack. You should've been part of my pack. I tried for so long and I failed you..."

Frost spun back to them, his tail twitching as he glanced back towards his lands, "I should-"

"Frost." Swift whispered, her tears forming, "What was that? Why did you have to pull all our abilities? What were you doing?"

"Firestorm were chipped!" Frost says cheerily, ignoring the blood soaking into the grounds around him, "I needed her to be so fucked in the head that I could get to it. This was the perfect opportunity. She's far far too stubborn normally. I needed her reeling. And you, little cat. You performed amazingly well! Your anger carried you, holding you in such a perfect position."

He turned to Kiri, his head dipping slightly, "Thank you for that moment of trust."

"Wh-" Firestorm scooped a body from the floor, Ryker's sightless eyes staring accusingly up at her, "Frost..."

Frost grinned, happiness stirring in his chest for a moment. "Don't you get it Stormy? We won! I just need to make sure the solar system is in the right location and we're golden! We are finally free of the wars. They can't find us."

"Frost!" She turned, horror leaving her sheet white. "You caused this?"

Frost paused, glancing between their faces, "No, you did it. I have been trying to weave the webs since father died. That's when he chipped you. He altered your memories. He tried to alter mine but it didn't work. I almost got it when we found out Pup was gone, but the elders had their claws in too thick." He shook his head, "I needed it done in the same breath, in the same heartbeat, and Swift," He nearly bounced, "You performed beautifully. I wish I could take all the credit, but that was all you and your rage with just a nudge for which elders to take."

Swift ran a paw over her face, hardly able to breathe through the pain in her head, "But why not just explain that... Why hurt us, for the pleasure of it?!"

Frost frowned at her, "No? If you knew, then you would rationalize it out. There wouldn't have been the self righteous rage that was required. We wouldn't have achieved this without a perfect dose of self righteous rage."

Swift's breath caught in her throat, her head low. The sob escaped, a mournful cry. "My people are worth that little to you?"

Frost's tail pulled her chin up, his smile slight. "No, little cat. Our people are worth far more then anything to me. I wish, with everything I have I could bring them back. That my sister would've reached the point I needed before their death."

She ripped herself away, her tail twitching. She padded up to Ryker, her tail running up his cold flank. "You would've made an excellent pack leader." She whispered.

Beady red eyes caught her, his low stalk almost catching her off guard. Ren snarled, his nose twitching as he glanced between bodies. Rogue. Truly rogue.

Frost sighed, "And of course, his sacrifice was for nothing." He unsheathed his claws, waiting for the rogue to creep forward.

Swift snarled. "Don't." She strode forward, drawing the rogue's attention. She waited, his lunge knocking her back, fangs sinking into her shoulder. She twisted, breaking his skin with a sharp bite, waiting for that heartbeat of a blood exchange. For his mind to settle.

He shook, tearing deeper. "Alpha... No. Please... We-"

Swift unhooked her fangs, her head pressing against his. "He begged us not to let you stay gone. I'm sorry."

He glared back at Firestorm. "Give me his body. You betrayed him. Our family betrayed him. None of deserve to honour his death!" He snatched the body, cradling it close.

"Swift." Kiri prompted, "We need to see who's left."

Firestorm frowned, "You'll have no one back at your home. Your pack is gone."

Swift regarded her with a half smirk, "I'm so glad I have my father's intellect and not yours." Shadows swirled, pulling them out of sight. "Let's hope you can honour my pack in death better then you did in life."

Firestorm's head tilted, examining the hordes of stirring creatures. "You've really done yourself proud this time Frost. Those lies you told the kits? They don't work on me. I don't know what your... Idea was, but this? This death? How could you when we need every pack member we can get?!"

Frost's smile dropped. "How could I? Stormy, darling, I spoke no lies. Think back now. Your memories of our father's death should be rewriting itself now." He hesitates, "I tried talking to you, telling you. You called me a liar and just like today, you believe none of it. So I protect our people as best I can. So, if you'll excuse me," He turned, padding away.

"Frost!" She snarled, "Come back and help clean the mess you made!"

He stretched, shifting with the wind as he vanished back home. "Good luck Stormy."

Frost held himself still, his head tilted back as he studied the sky. A true smile graced his face, his red fur streaked with black as he sat in his own illusion. His mind ticked, rolling over again and again as his powers fizzled. Technology rumbled, a ship slowly piercing through the atmosphere as it came to Frost's call.

He blinked hard, shaking his head as he took a bipedal form in a heartbeat. He extended a hand, ignoring the blood stains, greeting the bird like creature with a smile and nod, "Bastien! Lovely to finally get to meet you. Might I ask what the key in was?"

Bastien extracted his hand with a sneer, not believing Frost's smile for a heartbeat. "Energy surge, just like you promised. I take it it's done?" He glanced around, his sneer growing at the blood staining the cliffs from years past.

"It is. Send Talyn Spry my thanks." Frost stepped back, "And let him know, the games are on."

Bastien smirked, "Oh Frost... Who said I did this for Talyn?"

Frost froze, his hand raised, "No... He didn't."

She stepped off the ship, her heavy coat swaying with her hips. She pulled a knife, the edges sparking with electricity with a press of the button.

Frost scoffed, watching her with a wary eye. "That wasn't the deal I made."

She shot forward, far faster then any Minari should be able to move, her knife pressing gently against his throat. "He did!" She announced, singsongy. "And I am happy for it."

Frost tilted his chin up, taking a single step back. "You're mortal enemies!"

The alien stepped closer, a wicked smile glittering behind bared teeth, "And you are now in my territories. So! You tithe to me, and that is that. Don't get me wrong, I am a benevolent ruler. I don't expect anything immediately, not with how you'll have to get yourselves up to stable populations." She flipped the blade, sheathing it in one of her many pockets, "But I do expect you to remember who protects you now."

Frost drew back with a snarl, "I asked you for nothing! You were not the one I addressed. That I asked for help from."

She stepped closer, pulling a bottle from her cloak with a tantalizing swirl. "Oh, that's too bad. I even came with a peace offering."

His eyes traced the bottle of Fireblood, it's alcohol burbling against the glass. He reached out, his fingers closing over the tip of the bottle. His nostrils flared, his brother's scent tickling his nose. He glanced up to the Minari, his thoughts whirling.

He sighed, folding his hands in front of him. "Give me a few days. We'll see just what we can do."