Chapter 15

Steam rose from the grove, faint late day light trickling down to paint green leaves gold.

Creatures rested wearily, yawning and stretching out to catch the last few rays. Flare leapt up, her deep black coat soaking  up the sun as she perched upon the rocks.

Her ears turned, sightless eyes meeting the gaze of one of those biped creatures they all so feared.

It smiled, it's weapon clicking back. An arrow whistled, spinning easily as it cut through the air, dancing its way merrily.

Flare staggered back, her fur growing darker by the moment as her eyes drifted to the arrow in her chest. She leaned forward, gently touching it with her nose. She let out a barking cry of alarm, though it left as a faint wheeze. She tilted forward, her legs failing her as she toppled from the rock.

Arrows shot out across the clearing, each one perfectly placed. Her people cried out, kits screaming as their bones shattered.

She raised her nose, inhaling deeply. A faint prayer of relief echoed on her lips, his scent stale. She reached out, imprinting memories to the pack memories. "Stay safe love."

Kiri perched on the edge for a moment, his claws sinking into the branch he held tightly. His breath caught in his chest, his vision blurring. A slaughter. That's all it was. Just like what Shylo did to them.

Swift stood at his shoulder, her eyes wide. Her lips parted, words ready to leap to his comfort but they ultimately fell short before ever leaving her lips.

Bladen stepped back up, darkening her eyes. "We are killing them. Killing them all." He states, just to her.

Kiri lept down, uncaring for the deadly stillness. "Mother! Mama no! Please, you can't leave us! We need you. Please mother, I need you!" He skidded in, feet sticking to the ground under him. He retched, his paw touching that of one of his youngest brothers. The last one conceived before Alpha's death. "Rory..."

Tears wore tracks down his face as he ran to another body, "Please, please, please. Don't leave me! I can't do this without you guys. I can't, I know I can't, you're my pack. I need my pack."

The softest of sobs drew his ears, flicking them back against his head as he pressed his nose deep into their fur. Praying for a heartbeat.

The girl, the one Swift had saved, the one that had started all this. She knelt in the woods, just out of sight. She cradled something, rocking back and forth.

Kiri raised a foot towards her, his ears coming forward again. He stepped quickly, trying to dodge his family dead on the floor.

Daggers sparked the winds, slamming into him with the heat of a thousand suns. Agony chased each line, flames caressing bone, burning straight through them as they sunk in deep.

Kiri squealed, "D'vala!"

"I'm here, I'm right here. It's ok. I've got you." She stepped in, shouldering the pain as best she could. "Don't let go. Stay right with me. We need to move. Move away from the open. Are you ready?"

"It hurts...." He cried out, his body shaking.

"I know. Come on. You need to use your mind. Just once more today. I promise. They can't hurt you if they can't see you. Build yourself a bubble. Make it your wall. No one can see you." She swore, Kiri ignoring her with a glaze to his eyes. "KIRI!"

Swift and Bladen darted above, green eyes almost teal with their mentality, their absolute wanting to destroy.  She stalked silently, sticking to height. Frost curled around her feet with every step, making the branches slick.