Chapter Forty-Two

I tensed against him

"What?"

Drugged him? Did that mean she tried to... rape him? Shock blasted through my system, and my heart rate began to pick up again. I tried to twist around to face him, but he wouldn't let me budge.

He cleared his throat, his arms cinching tighter around me. "There was this girl who followed me around for a couple of months — to parties, class, the football house. And to all my games. And then she started messaging me. A lot, all the time, no matter how much I blocked her. At first, I thought she was just an over-enthusiastic fan."

"She stalked you."

He gave a small nod, sighing, and I felt it against my head. "Yeah. Hindsight's twenty-twenty," Laughing dryly, he continued, "It all started getting bad when I made the mistake of kissing her while I was drunk at some party during my freshman year, and she took that as way more than it was. Started threatening the girls I hooked up with, telling everyone she was my girlfriend, sending me weird packages with her hair and other shit in it. Enough to freak me and those around me out."

I felt sick to my stomach as he relayed what happened to him. I didn't want to know where this was going, even as I suspected that I already knew. It had crossed my mind when I'd voiced everything before, but because I couldn't imagine it, I'd dismissed the thought immediately. He was just so Tristan — it seemed like no one could touch him, much less hurt him like that.

"I was advised to get a restraining order, so I did. I felt stupid doing it, but my parents wouldn't let it go. And the cops weren't going to do a thing except warn her unless something serious happened. But I wasn't too worried at that point. I didn't think she'd be able to do anything to me, considering she seemed like this small, harmless girl."

The cops didn't do anything? Even though he was Tristan Beckett? Was it because he was a big guy and they thought he'd be able to handle himself?

"We were having a party during rush week and it was pretty late. I was already nearing blackout drunk when she dosed my drink. The last thing I can remember is making out with some other girl. Apparently, I passed out and some of my buddies carried me up to my room. That's where she found me — on my bed and dead to the world."

I chose to stay quiet, letting him finish.

"I woke up with her on top of me, naked. She was trying to unzip my pants. I think I made a noise because she realized I was awake, and started talking to me. I couldn't really make out any of the other stuff, but she kept apologizing over and over again — the whole time."

It almost made it worse that she felt remorse for her actions and kept going regardless. That meant she knew what she was doing was wrong, and she had a guilty conscience, but chose to ignore it, chose to violate another human being in one of the worst ways possible.