Chapter Thirty-Six

T: Hey, where did you disappear to?

T: Hannah?

I frowned at the lack of responses from her. It had been several hours since I'd last seen her and... I missed her. No — I was worried about her. Worried whether she was okay or not. Was she hurt? What if something had happened to her? Bailey, her best friend, was also nowhere to be found, leading me to believe they were together. A frustrated sigh escaped me as I stowed away my phone, scanning the area one final time, but my search ended in vain.

As I'd spent the day with my team and fans, joining in various physical activities, I'd often found my eyes wondering — searching for familiar dark blonde hair in the crowds. But she was noticeably absent and I couldn't find her anywhere. She'd been MIA since this morning, after my little slip-up and then that crazy roommate of hers jumping me.

"You okay, Beckett?" Tate's voice rang out beside me.

I turned to him, lifting an eyebrow. "Yeah? Why?"

"You seem a little distracted." His eyes tracked my every move, seeing a lot more than he let on. "Is it Hoodie Girl? I haven't seen her since this morning. Everything cool between you two?"

"I think so," I frowned, thinking more on it.

Was it? I thought so, but what the fuck did I know? Sometimes it was really hard to tell what was going on inside that pretty little head of hers. While she wasn't shy about giving her opinion, I sometimes got the feeling she was holding back.

Maybe I'd made a mistake in assuming she'd eventually share her thoughts at her own pace. I didn't want to pressure her into discussing things she found difficult. Hell, I understood that myself, so I had let us skirt around any serious topics. I'd thought we were having fun.

Fuck. What if she was pissed because I mentioned a "future date night," as if we were already in a committed relationship? It had been a thoughtless slip on my part, something that came out without much thought because it felt so natural with Hannah. Looking back on it, back to that flash of panic on her face... maybe my words struck a nerve more deeply than I realized?

Running my hand through my hair, I gripped the damp strands tightly, battling against the guilt that clawed at my chest.

It wasn't like I wanted to hurt her on purpose. The hardest part was being unable to reassure her or stand by those casual words — knowing that might give her false hopes or expectations. Which was why I was confused. Her reaction had eased my concerns, and I left her, assuming we were back on the same page. Was I wrong?

Or maybe she was pissed because of her crazy roommate? But she couldn't be angry with me for that, right? I'd pushed the clinging woman away almost as soon as she'd kissed me, having to temper my reaction due to those around me. I'd had to hide that initial disgust and anger surging within me when she touched me, instead maintaining a tense smile while gently but firmly separating myself from her, with Tate and Tai stepping in to assist.