Chapter Thirty-Nine

Hannah's blue eyes grew wide when they landed on me

Hannah's blue eyes grew wide when they landed on me. Was it just me, or did they seem a little red?

"Tristan?" she murmured, looking caught off guard.

Any other time, I might have savored this new expression of hers, teased her about it while anticipating her snappy reply — but right now I needed to know what she was talking about. Despite my intention to end things, all I could feel was an internal gut wrench at the thought of Hannah leaving. It felt like I'd really lose her if she left and that made my heart squeeze painfully with fear. I almost objected out of sheer fucking instinct.

"Answer me, Hannah. What do you mean you might be leaving soon?" And where was she going?

My question seemed to jolt her, guilt and panic coloring her face. She opened her mouth to respond, but no words came out.

J... Juniper cleared her throat and announced, "I should probably head back to the others. I think Matthew is calling me." Neither of us turned to watch her leave.

"It's been so long since we saw each other. I... missed you?" Hannah tried, grimacing at how pathetic her attempt to divert my attention sounded.

"Stop dodging the question, Hannah." My jaw clenched, annoyed by her evasion tactics.

She folded her arms, shooting me an irritated glare before eventually relenting with a sigh of defeat. "I'm doing my internship this year, and depending on where I go, I might have to transfer. Which means moving states. There's also a chance I'll finish my last year there," she explained, eyes dropping to the ground. "And my best choice is looking like it's in Washington, DC. Well, I have two other choices I like, but they're still across state lines."

Fuck. We really had no chance now, huh? I let out a wry huffof amusement, although there was nothing amusing about the situation. Fuck me if this wasn't a sign.

Looking back at her, I asked, "How long?"

"How long?"

"How long until you leave?"

She winced. "Still a while. Well — a little while. A couple of days. But not too soon. A week... five days. Next week. Next week Friday... or is it this week Friday? That might be it."

Five days? Just five days before she had to leave? It hit me like a ton of bricks, nearly knocking me over from the impact. Was she ever going to tell me? Did I even deserve to know? Or was it simply luck that I found out now?

Which led me to think, if she was leaving before I was, then what if we spent those last days together? And then we'd have no choice but to put a stop to things when she left. It worked out perfectly.

Well, there was still the thing about her being a distraction. With everything about to get chaotic, would I even be able to carve out time to spend with her?

But what if I left only if things got too serious between us? We weren't there yet. It wasn't like we loved each other. I couldn't be in love with a girl I'd only known for two months. Those sorts of feelings took time to develop, didn't they? They didn't just appear out of thin air.