(11) Taiki: Two More Days

Even with everything about the prophecy hanging over our heads, Ande refuses to set out for Rapal for the next four days. She spends that time talking with the islanders, learning their stories and telling them her own experience with waking up in the water and coming to terms with her Shalda ancestry. It's a contrast to the more blunt, practical skills that Makeba and the rest of the Sandsingers teach the island people. Makeba is a good teacher, but Ande has a softer touch that comes out with her people. Especially kids and elders. I notice Makeba watching her a lot.

The new island Kels have a long journey to make before the Sandsingers can find the Shalda tribe they've partnered with to pass islanders off to. The tribe is in the three-moon deep like all the migratory Shalda at this time of year, but apparently the Sandsingers haven't heard from them in over half a year. They couldn't find any other tribes, either, but that at least is normal.

It's worrying, though. Min has told me the Sandsingers used to do more to help each village themselves, but that got harder as the prophecy advanced and the group chose to focus on getting more villages each year instead. The partnership with the Shalda tribe made it possible up until now. If that's gone, the cost of the trade-off grows that much steeper. I ask Min what Neem and Makeba will do if they still can't pass off this village. She doesn't know.

After four days, I corner Ande again.

"Just a few more days," she signs. "Please? This is important."

There's a look in her eyes that I've started to recognize: she's willing to fight for this.

"The prophecy is important, too," I sign back. "We don't know how many days we have left for that, and we don't know how long it might take to find a written copy."

Ruka was guessing it would take us a moon to reach Rapal unless we caught a ride. Lots of Hahalua's children follow the currents towards Ashianti territory, so I think we'll be able to ride most of the way. But that will only halve our travel time. I want to get moving as soon as possible.

"I'm not helping my people if I'm not helping my people." Ande's head tips defiantly. She's started to pick that up from Makeba, too. "What if I'm not even the Singer? We'll be chasing something that won't even help us, after leaving real, struggling people here when I could have spent more time making sure they'll survive instead. A few more days won't make a difference to the prophecy. But it will make a difference here."

I lift my hands, but stop myself before saying anything. Ande's told me before that she feels like the only way she can help her people is by being the Singer. This is new. But even if she feels better doing this, the biggest impact will always come from the Singer. I wonder if Makeba is starting to rub off on her.

"One more day," I sign. The Sandsingers have been talking about leaving in another day or two anyway.

"Two," counters Ande, and crosses her arms again.

Against half a moon of traveling, two days is small enough that I feel okay saying yes. I would still rather leave now, but if two days is enough to satisfy Ande, I can wait. At least it gives me more time to plan.

"Fine. Two more days."

"Great." She drops her hands and almost turns away before pausing. "Anything else you need me for?"

I shake my head, and she goes back to the villagers. I hope she's learning things that might help us on our trip, or with the prophecy, or with her own motivation. Many, many more people will be in danger if she takes too long making sure each individual group is safe. It's an empathetic side of her that has really started to show since we left her people.