Chapter 6

Vaughan was the 6th and final member of Maeve's Cadre, or at least he was.

For the past year his life had gone nowhere but down, first Rowan left the cadre, then Lorcan stole Maeve's prized possessions and than him, Fenrys and Gavriel were tasked with the mission of killing him, then he spent a whole month searching for him in the western part of the continent, then one day he heard the news via some Crochan witches passing by that Lorcan, Gavriel and Fenrys were also with the fire breathing bitch queen and that they were fighting a great battle against Maeve and Erawan.

Which shocked him further, Maeve was not Fae but a Valg Queen, he couldn't ignore the command given by her queen, until he physically felt the blood oath breaking after his queen died. After that he stayed hidden, waiting for a chance to make his move. Which even he didn't know what said 'move' was. That was...until he saw Fenrys hop onto that boat and leave. He turned into an Osprey and hid in one of the many rooms of the boat. Then he followed him all the way until the castle of the king of Aculon. He waited for him to leave the castle and saw his oppurtunity when he entered the narrow street, taking his chance he flew in, transformed into his Fae form and put a knife to his neck.

"Your a long way from your new Queen" Vaughan grunted. He could see the shock on Fenrys's face, he said "y-you! We've been searching for you for the past 6 months! Where have you been!" Vaughan let him go and said "I was hidden, I didn't know what to think of your new court and queen, so I stayed hidden and slowly collected tidbits of information on what happened". Fenrys said "Why didn't you come to us? Me, Lorcan and Rowan have been worried as shit about you! Aelin has been worried about you!" Vaughan snarled and said "and I should've come to you, so you could force me to take the blood oath to that woman?!" Fenrys shook his head and said "Is that what you think? Do you even know what happened?" Vaughan shook his head and said "No, only tidbits about what happened, how the keys were returned to the Wyrdgate and that Maeve...(Vaughan shuddered)...Maeve was a Valg queen.

Fenrys also shuddered at that and said "Yeah that was something I didn't expect, and you have no idea how horrified I am even now". Vaughan took a nearby barrel and sat on it saying "Well, tell me then Fenrys, what happened these past 7 months". Fenrys also sat down on a nearby barrel and spoke.

Vaughan listened as Fenrys spoke for the past 39 minutes, a story of ice and fire, of Adarlan and Terrasen, how he and Gavriel met the others, how Gavriel discovered his son, they met Lorcan but failed to kill him because of Aelin's intervention, how Maeve found them, captured Aelin and dishonourably broke their blood oaths, took Aelin back to Doranelle, how they both were tortured, he staggered while talking about the death of Connal and Vaughun was filled with rage, Vaughun was like a brother to him, Connal himself had admitted that Vaughun was more of a brother to him then Fenrys ever was. He heard Fenrys talk about the march north, with the Kaghan soldiers, the final battle, Vaughun had tears in his eyes when he heard of Gavriel's death.

When Fenrys stopped Vaughun let out a huge breath and said "Connal and Gavriel, I will never forget them, especially Connal." Fenrys nodded his head.

Connal then said "So that's why your here, to see that death cult and atone for Connal's death?" Fenrys shook his head "Not really, Aelin sent me here to make some sort of a deal with the King here and to learn how the voting system works here." Vaughan frowned and said "So she didn't give you permission to atone for your brother?" Fenrys said "It's not like that, she didn't specify whether I could or not, and I didn't ask, but she's not like Maeve". Vaughun sneered and said "tell me Fenrys, from all your experience with humans and with this new Queen of your, would she really give you permission to if you had asked?"

Fenrys looked him straight in the eyes and said "Yes, yes she would, she's not like Maeve, not any human leader I've ever met." Vaughun was surprised by the confidence in his tone, this Aelin really was something if she made Fenrys loyal to her, Fenrys who has wanted nothing but to be free of courts and queens.

Nevertheless Vaughun said "Well I'm coming with you to this Death cult". Fenrys said "There's no chance in hell I'm letting you come with me". "Why not?" Vaughun challenged him. Fenrys replied "Connal was–is my brother, and I want to do this alone". Vaughun said "Connal was closer then me then anybody, even you know this. So I'm coming with you". Vaughun thought Fenrys would argue further but he only sighed and said "Fine".

Vaughun and Fenrys got up and resumed their search for this death cult, Vaughun really did want to meet Connal one last time, say goodbye to him, because he was like a brother to Vaughun.

30 minutes later they stood infront of a small shabby house which was fully black in colour, it was just a cube made of bricks and had no windows and a door, but it was the place. Fenrys said to him "So are you ready?" Vaughun replied "I could ask you the same question". Fenrys grinned and opened the door.

Only to recoil in horror at what stood in the doorway.

Vaughun instantly took out his double edged sword and Fenrys took out a hunting knife, because infront of them, in the doorway, stood guard something Vaughun never thought he'd see again.

A Valg Demon.