Hating him more...

Start from the beginning

"Then why didn't you tell me about him?" He almost yelled at me. He ran a hand over his face and started in a much softer tone. "He's bad news dear, please don't fall for him again."

"I won't Mohit, trust me this once. I am happy to be here to get a life and a career which I had always dreamt of. Give me a chance." I almost pleaded, holding his hands, looking deep into his eyes. Mohit was not only my friend, he was everything to me. He was like a family to me. After my parents left me, he always had my back. There were days in my life where I was left to weep in loneliness when Mayank left me. During those moments, Mohit stood tall and covered me with hope. I needed that. He was the reason I came out of depression and was standing on my feet today.

"Fair enough, but if he hurts you one more time...." I didn't let him finish.

"I will oblique to your orders Master." I said in a fake British accent and we both chuckled. We were like old friends again. His flight was not until tomorrow evening. I insisted that he stay with me in my apartment, but he apologized, saying it was not appropriate. He already had a hotel room booked for himself and he would be staying there till then. I was more than happy to know that there won't be any instance where he would bump into Mayank. Because I knew it won't end up well, and that was the last thing I wanted to happen.

"Tell me something, did you really come here because of this news?" I asked him.

"Uhh, yes, in a way, and there was a very small conference as well which I had to attend. It happened to be a coincidence that your news and the conference were together." Really? Something's fishy. Never mind.

"Well, don't you wanna go on a tour of NYC?" Mohit asked.

"I sure as hell."

Flashback
December 2017
Mehek's POV

Days were passing by sooner than I had expected. I was now working full-time as a Marketing assistant, but the catch was that Mohit was now my boss. He was always a hardworking enthusiast I wasn't. I had been nothing but ignorant towards my work, especially after Mayank's arrival. I would always try to make an excuse to meet him. I would say they were generous enough when they hired me full-time in the first place. 'You have a creative mind. Try to use it often when you work.' was all my Manager told me on my one to one annual sessions with him.

Mayank was now pursuing his cricketing career full-time, trying to put in more and more effort. His team even won a cup in Ranji. Being the star he was, he had won the man of the match.

'Let's go out on a long road trip, just us.' He asked me. I wanted to agree to that offer, but I refrained from doing so. 'I can't take any more leaves. My managers have already given me multiple warnings. Besides, I have my appraisal meeting coming up. I need to come out clean to be able to get a salary hike.' He was staring at me for about five minutes. His eyes were looking sad, as if he was losing something.

I know where it's going. I was genuinely concerned about my job. I wasn't making this excuse for any other reason. My job was my bread and butter and I intended to keep it. But due to our busy schedule, we never got time for each other. He was busy with his practices, his matches, and tournaments while I was working my butt off for my job. Our phone calls took place just once or sometimes twice a day, whereas we met less than once a week.

It was alright with me, until we met at Kavi's birthday party. I wasn't prepared for it, Mayank came outside my office. He appeared to be drunk. Well, he had been drinking a lot lately. He took me to where everyone was. I was happy that we got to spend some time, but then that bitch Natasha showed up.

"Hey everyone, may I have your attention please." Kavi was on stage with a mike in his hand. Yes, his parties were that grand. And I was dressed in my least favorite formal attire, a maroon blouse, and black pants. Not my type. Thanks to Mayank for showing up suddenly.