Epilogue | They Say I Do

Kang Il

I had been kicked out of my own home and was currently relegated to Tae Men's family home where the men were gathered around the TV, playing cards and watching sports. Originally, my beautiful bride-to-be had figured that she'd be the one at her parent's house, but with the army of her female relatives insisting on helping her get ready this morning, it was quickly determined it would be better if we switched households for the day due to space constraints and the ample countertop space the master bath at my home had apparently.

I had always enjoyed my time with her family, but today felt different as I had been directed to no longer consider them as her family. It had been a surprise at first, my immediate thought that they were voicing their disproval of our impending marriage, but quickly the moment turned far more sentimental than I was used to.

"You can't keep calling us 'Tae Men's family.' It's not right," Tae Moon said.

His father nodded in agreement as all the uncles and siblings looked over at me with equally serious expressions on their faces.

"Well, I just—"

"You are a part of our family now; you always have been. Calling us her family and not your own is wrong."

Tae Men's father had always been softer spoken and less sentimental than her mother, but the genuine emotion behind his words made me feel such a strong feeling of love for my new family that I was now speechless as we sat in the living room of her childhood home. It was a space I had always felt comfortable in as Car Taeyang, but as an adult, as Kang Il, I had been struggling to frame the old memories in my current life. It was like putting old, fluffy socks on in new shoes. It worked, but it wasn't exactly comfortable.

I could tell they weren't waiting for a response, but I say softly, "Thank you, Abeoji," trying to express the sentiment in my heart.

He nods and looks away, probably feeling the same burning behind his eyes as I was. Tae Moon's phone chirps and he looks down with a grin.

"Sounds like the girls are heading to the hall."

I swallow nervously as I realize it was nearly time.

I'm not nervous about marrying Tae Men. More so, I'm worried that something is going to take away this amount of pure bliss and happiness I am experiencing...

"We'd better get our suits on; otherwise, the women will kill us," one uncle mutters as he shuffles off the couch and heads for his garment bag hanging next to the rest of them in the dining room.

I simply nod in agreement and grab my own tuxedo, smiling as I think about seeing Tae Men in her dress from our adventure at the bridal boutique. I quickly change into the silky black material and start fiddling with the cufflinks that came with the outfit.

A cough comes from behind me and I turn around and to my surprise, Father Kang has suddenly appeared, a sheepish Tae Moon pushing him in his wheelchair.

"Father Kang, what are you doing here?"

"Figured you might need something for the wedding," he coughs into his hand, hacking roughly as he pulls a box out from his lap under the wool blanket covering his legs.

"Isn't the something borrowed for the bride?" Ca Jin Ho asks.

I roll my eyes at his sad attempt at a joke and take the box from Father Kang. I open it and find cufflinks with a similar pattern to the rings he had already given us.

"Your parents again?"

I ask the question, the burning behind my eyes growing even stronger at the implications.