Chapter Five | Unwanted

Tae Men

He still has that photo of us.

The realization that the memories of Kang Il had of me weren't just relegated to his memory was a shocking moment. Seeing my smiling face with my terrible braided pigtails staring me down in his study was easily the most breathtaking moment I have had in the last 6 years.

Ever since the Season Opener...

A tap comes at my shoulder and I turn to see one of my brother's assistant photographers.

"Yes?"

"Tae Moon was wondering if you wanted to get some shots of Mr. Kang in his study?" Lee Hyun asks.

I nod and clear my throat, "Go ahead. Try and get some photos of his gallery wall in the background and I'll have a content creator make some posts based on his art collection."

Lee Hyun nods.

"And make sure any specific people in the photos are blurred out. Less photo releases to worry about. Come and get me when you're done. Thank you!"

That's a rational excuse if I've ever heard one. Good job, Tae Men.

I look around the weight room and grab a camera, opting to take close ups of the various exercise machines, staging water bottles, protein shakers, and other 'props' in them to add pops of color. I review some of the shots quickly when a click catches my attention. I look up in the floor length mirrors hanging on the wall and realize I'm not alone in the room.

A small inset off to the side holds a bright pink dog kennel where a calm pair of eyes watches me cautiously. The blue eyes stare at me as the small dog backs into the corner of the kennel, not necessarily scared, but hesitant. Two more kennels sit next to the pink one and I see the name plates above each one. The dog staring at me is tagged as 'Turtle' and the middle kennel is empty, Mongoose spending time with her owner. The final kennel holds a sleeping mixed dog with the tag 'Rhino' listed above it.

"Hello, Turtle," I whisper. I set my camera aside and step around the weight equipment so I can fully see the dog staring at me. "My name is Tae Men; I've heard about you from..."

Saying Kang Il's name feels wrong in this moment as I look at the petite dog in front of me.

"I heard about you from your owner," I amend.

Turtle's flat face scrunches as she lets out a big sniff and comes closer to the front door. I squat down and rest on my feet, holding out a tender hand for the dog to sniff.

"Are you friendly? They said you're a rescue so I don't want to spook you and make you upset in your own home. You should feel safe in your own home, like I do in mind," I mumble.

The dog sniffs my hand and through the bars of the pink kennel, she licks my hand and wiggles her butt excitedly as I reach my hand through the bars and gently scratch behind her ears.

"That's some good wiggle waggle, sweet Turtle."

"You can let her out; she's friendly," I look back and see Kang Il staring down at me with a soft smile on his lips.

I withdraw my hand from Turtle's cage, much to her dismay.

"I'm sorry; I shouldn't have—"

"Miss Tae, you're fine. You like dogs, petting one doesn't surprise me. The fact you haven't climbed in her cage to cuddle her surprises me more," he mocks.

I stiffen at the memory he was referring to and refrain from rolling my eyes and sassing him back.

You are the only person in the world who can make me this angry, Car Tae... no, Kang Il. Car Taeyang never made me this angry until he—until YOU left...UGH, even my subconscious is confused by this damn name change.