Chapter Eleven | Bad Blind Dates and Good Excuses

Catherine Lee

"Why exactly did you need me to come in to help you today?"

Out of all my relatives, Lee Soojin, was my favorite. Not only were we the same age, but we shared similar hobbies, similar interests, and looked similar enough that we could take each other's places at blind dates our families set us up on when our hectic work schedules were conflicting with one another.

If anyone asked, we were as close as sisters in appearance and as close as soul mates with our friendship.

"Because I need to take inventory and my counter girl called out sick so I need someone to man the counter while I'm in the back. Plus you love me."

"That I do. If you weren't my soul mate—"

"Soul mate as in bffs or otherwise?" A new voice chimes in.

I look up from my clipboard and see the smiling face of Xiao Mei Cheng holding the crooked arm of a distantly familiar face.

Why does she look so familiar?

"Bffs. Aka Best Female Family members," Lee Soojin nods. "Can I grab you something to drink?"

"We're here to see the cats," Xiao Mei Cheng nods, pointing at the pastry case.

The brunette beside her nods and the sneaking suspicion of familiarity grows as I try and covertly stare at her.

My staring must not be as covert as I had hoped as she bows her head and introduces herself, "Hello, I'm Vivian Jones." She says in stilted Korean.

Blink blink. Blink blink.

"V-Vivian Jones? As is THAT Vivian Jones?" I point at the book display on the end cap of the romance aisle, and she nods.

"Lee Soojin, keep an eye on the counter please. I need a moment."

I walk back to my office and close the door, taking a deep breath.

I let out a muffled squeal and giggle, jumping up and down, as I realize one of the most popular authors in the world was standing in my humble bookstore. After calming myself down and taking a deep breath, I exit the office and return to the counter, thoughts of inventory gone from my mind.

Play it cool, Cate. She doesn't need to think you're a freaky stalker fan.

"I'm sorry, I just—"

Vivian Jones is no longer at the counter and I deflate as anxious thoughts fill my brain.

Now she KNOWS you're a freaky stalker fan.

"Don't worry, she didn't run off. She's over there."

Xiao Mei Cheng points at the romance section and I nearly pass out as I watch Vivian Jones signing book after book of hers.

"What?"

"She figured it was a good way to give back. Your boss can charge more for the ones she's signed."

"Give back?" I ask weakly.

"She was really appreciative that your store keeps a decent stock of American graphic novels on hand," Xiao Mei Cheng explains. "Her son has been struggling to adapt to living here full time and she loves that she can offer him reminders of home."

"Wow, I didn't know."

"I told her you're from America as well so I'm sure she'll be back to visit and talk more often as she loves finding fellow expats who speak English and Korean as she's slowly but surely learning the language."