Chapter Four | I want a Dino Cookie Too

Tae Men

"Unnie, do you know that guy?" Tae Men-Ki asks.

I am driving him home after a long, draining day. He's scrolling through his phone, looking up stats on Kang Il much to my increasing ire.

"I wouldn't say that I know him; he's just a client."

Now. If you add the word 'now' to that sentence, it would ring true.

"He seems to know you."

"He's probably just good at reading people."

"I'm surprised you accepted a job like this."

Me too kid.

"It's a favor for a different client," I admit.

My hands are tight on the wheel as I think about Gar Yung-Hee's pleading request for help with her husband's employee.

Had I known it would bring that man back into my life, would I have accepted the contract?

"He's a great player; single too."

I let out a groan as I pull in front of our house and park the car.

"How much did Eomeoni pay you to mention that?"

"Two nights of dishes."

"You could've gotten a week from her," I grumble.

"Really?!"

"You were robbed."

"But—"

"You can tell our mother that I am far too busy to consider dating someone right now."

My mother's increasing efforts to find me a husband were admirable. Almost daily I had a sibling, aunt, uncle, grandparent, or parent of a single male friend mentioning to me an eligible bachelor that would be 'just perfect' for me.

I had been on numerous blind dates this last year and hadn't found any of them agreeable.

"You're the most agreeable person in the world and 'Insert Date's Name here' still wasn't good enough?" Was probably the most repeated sentence in our household.

"Will you get to meet any of the other players?"

"Are you asking for the purpose of finding me a husband or so you can get some autographs?"

"Autographs."

"Fair enough. I'm going to the stadium on Friday to watch the game."

"Can I come with?"

"Will you ask me about going on a date?"

"No."

"Then yes."

He lets out a whoop and runs into the house, his backpack swinging as he runs and I slump down in the driver's seat and set my head on the steering wheel.

I think about today's events and the reappearance of Kang Il after so many years.

"I'm 29; the last time I saw him in person was on our 13th birthday, so it's been 16 years since we last saw one another?" The numbers in my head cause my eye to twitch.

I lean back and open my phone, pulling up a search engine and I search Kang Il's name.

The now infamous duck article immediately pulls up, but I switch to the photo search and stare at Kang Il's rookie photo. There weren't many flattering photos of the elusive Kang Il, and the ones that did appear were mostly of him walking his dogs, but his rookie photo allowed me to look at him and remember the boy I once knew without fear he'd pull my innermost thoughts out with his stern glare.