Chapter Eight | Baits and Showers

Kang Il

Victory is sweet.

Tagging out Tae Men's ex-boyfriend was special for several reasons:

1. We lost to the Busan team during our last series against them

2. He's Tae Men's ex

3. The game was neck and neck and the fact that I got him out was the cherry on top of the game was perfect

4. He's Tae Men's ex

While the rest of the team gathers in a huddle on the pitching mound, I take a moment to take a deep breath and look up at the sky.

Usually at the end of a game I would imagine the loved ones in my past cheering and celebrating me from the sidelines. I'd picture the Tae family rooting for me with a homemade banner they'd sneak into the stadium, I'd picture Tae Men cheering me on with my jersey number painted on her cheeks, the smile on her face glinting with the metal braces on her teeth. I'd even picture my birth parents in the stands raising a glass to my success as well as Sister Park and Sister Michaels.

A lot has changed since I first had that daydream in my rookie season. In fact, I can practically hear Tae Men screaming my name during my first game in the rookie Season when I stepped up to first base for the first time.

"Are you proud of me you guys?" I whisper, basking in the cheers and hollers coming from the stands.

It was my tradition. After every game, win or lose, I would reflect on all of the people, good or bad, who had helped me get to where I was.

6 years as a professional player...

10 years in training...

16 years since my 13th birthday...

This game felt different though; the thoughts of my family and fans were usually more bitter than sweet, but as I open my eyes and look around, I notice the reporters heading my way and I'm filled with a sense of calm.

Despite the shouts and numerous eyes on me coming from the stands, I can tell that someone different is closely watching me. I look around and see Tae Men staring me down from her place in the dugout. Her arms are crossed across her chest and she's watching me expectantly as though to say, 'Don't mess this up.'

I send her an imperceptible nod and turn to the female reporter preparing to question me.

"Kang Il, are you available for a quick interview?"

I nod my head and put my hands behind my back. My Eagles hat sits comfortably on my head, and I swallow, trying to think of the words Tae Men had been trying to tattoo on my brain earlier.

It's a good thing she's the hardest woman in the world to forget...and I've tried.

"Polite, presentable, professional." I mumble.

"Excuse me?" The reporter smiles, batting her eyes at me.

Oh God, she's a flirty reporter, lord help me.

"Nothing."

"Are you ready?'

"Yes, Miss."

The reporter launches into her summary spiel, title, and company background information before launching into her questions, "I have the Seoul Eagles starting first baseman, Kang Il, here with me. Kang Il, you won today's game at the last second, leading your team to victory. What would you say was the key to today's victory?"

"Teamwork and skill."

"It seems your team tends to play like a machine, what is it like to work as a cog in the machine?"