Chapter Twenty | Harsh Truths

Catherine Lee

We had quite a few successful days at the bookstore which had been delaying my plans for Bu Seok. To make sure we could convince our parents successfully of our 'pairing' as Bu Seok calls it, we agreed to go on a series of dates so we could take pictures and upload them to social media and get to know one another's preferences. Bu Seok had planned our first activity and all he had said was to wear closed-toe shoes and long-sleeves.

Originally, I hadn't been planning on putting as much work into my 'date prep' as I did, but Yang Hyun's continuous nagging led me to take things a bit more seriously. I had even taken the time to style my hair and was wearing my favorite jeans that hugged my waist and gave me the confidence of... Xiao Mei Cheng.

I have the confidence of Xiao Mei Cheng right now. Everything will be great. Besides, it's not like it's a 'real' date anyways.

Bu Seok had texted that he was headed to the bookstore and would arrive in a couple of minutes, so I decided to grab my purse and wait on the curb. He soon pulls his car up outside the store and hops out of the driver's seat and comes over to open the passenger side door.

"Y-you look...amazing," he stutters.

I look down at my casual outfit of flared jeans and a blue button down.

"You didn't really give me much of an idea of what we're doing other than closed-toe shoes and long sleeves, so I made do."

"It'll work perfectly," he grins.

"Are you going to tell me what we're doing now?"

"I'll explain on our way."

He helps me into the car and hustles around to get in the driver's seat.

"Seat belt; safety first."

I tug at the strap to put it on, but it sticks, preventing me from putting it on correctly.

"Sorry, it sticks sometimes," he reaches over and presses the top of the tightening mechanism, and the air leaves my lungs at his close proximity.

He pulls the seatbelt over and helps me to clasp it and I try to keep the blush on my cheeks from rapidly spreading. He either isn't fazed by his closeness or didn't realize as he sits back in his seat, the bumbling nervous gestures he had continued on with.

He starts the drive to our destination and for the first time since I had met Bu Seok, I found myself nervously sweating in excitement. A strange combination to be sure.

"So where are we going?"

"Well, as you might have noticed, I've been a little bit of a disaster basket case. I'm normally not so clumsy, but I—well, anyways, I figured one way to get the nerves out about our 'arrangement' is to get more comfortable around one another."

"How exactly are you proposing we do that?"

"By letting our full inner basket cases out to play," he grins. "We're almost there and then you'll fully understand."

He pulls the car into a parking garage and parks. After opening my door and helping me out, he pulls a small box out of the backseat of his car and hands it to me. I look at him suspiciously and open it as he sends me a broad and mischievous grin.

"Open it," he grins.

I carefully open the box and give him a dubious look as I pull out two pairs of matching safety goggles.

"Umm..."

"We are going into a destruction room."

Bu Seok's bright tone isn't dampened by my concerned look, but instead he pushes me along into the building where a bored attendant waits impatiently snapping their gum as we enter the lobby.