CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN : DEPARTMENT OF MYSTERIES AND THE VEIL

A/N : Heyy, another lengthy chapter, folks! It's unedited, but please do vote and comment. Also, the next chapter might be the final one for OOTP.

    *

-----

Harry trailed behind Hermione, uncertain of her plans or whether she had any. He kept a half pace behind as they moved down the corridor outside Umbridge's office, aware that appearing ignorant of their destination would raise suspicion. Talking to Hermione was out of the question; Umbridge walked closely behind, her ragged breathing audible.

Hermione led them down the stairs into the Entrance Hall. Despite the echoing voices and clattering cutlery from the Great Hall's double doors, it felt surreal to Harry that people just twenty feet away were enjoying dinner, carefree after exams.

Exiting through the oak front doors, Hermione descended the stone steps into the balmy evening air. The setting sun cast long shadows over the grass as she marched purposefully, with Umbridge struggling to keep up.

"In Hagrid's hut, is it?" Umbridge eagerly inquired in Harry's ear.

"Hagrid wouldn't have hidden it there," Hermione retorted. "He might accidentally set it off."

Umbridge's excitement grew. "Yes, of course, the great half-breed oaf," she laughed.

Harry resisted the urge to confront her. His scar throbbed, a warning, but not the searing pain indicating Voldemort's imminent threat.

"Where is it, then?" Umbridge asked, sounding uncertain as Hermione continued toward the Forest.

"In there, of course," Hermione pointed into the dark trees. "Had to be somewhere students wouldn't stumble upon it."

"Of course," Umbridge replied, her tone now a bit apprehensive. "Very well, you two stay ahead of me."

"Can we have your wand if we're going first?" Harry asked, but Umbridge declined, poking him with it sweetly, emphasizing the Ministry's higher regard for her life.